1 HIGH STREET, ELGIN MUSEUM AND MUSEUM HALL (Ref:30714)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 26/01/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 219 629.
Thomas Mackenzie, 1842. Additions, 1896. Alterations and
additions, A Marshall Mackenzie and Son, 1920.
Italianate; all polished ashlar, channelled at ground floor.
Museum rising through 2 storeys, 3 stage square tower to
E with shallow pyramidal roof and 3 round chimneys linked by
coping. Square central porch in front (S) gable;
3 tall round-headed windows above moulded cill course with
band course at springing continuing across tower. Single
storey wing to right; lunette clerestory N and S.
Tower, S elevation; 1st floor window with blind
balustrade, pilaster strips and bracketted cornice;
lunette at base of 3rd stage with 3 tall round-headed
windows above (2 outer blind); E elevation as S, but 1st
floor window and lunette blind.
INTERIOR: original main hall with gallery on 3 sides
approached by T-plan staircase near original colour
scheme restored 1979.
Additional hall to N (1896), rubble with top light.
Museum Hall (dated 1921); single storey; ashlar; some
channelled pilasters; corniced entrance on S elevation.
Corner site with High Street and North College Street.
Property of The Moray Society, formerly The Elgin and
Morayshire Literary and Scientific Associated founded 1836.
Tower contained custodian's quarters, now gutted.
Former Item 29 (1981 Revised List).
H B Mackintosh, ELGIN PAST AND PRESENT, p20-21. INVERNESS
COURIER Feb 9, 1842. Advertisement for tenders. Further
information by courtesy of The Buildings of Scotland
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.