HIGH STREET, ST GILES' CHURCH (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND) (Ref:30713)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 26/01/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 216 628.
Archibald Simpson, 1825-28. Greek Revival; rectangular plan church with tower at E end. Doric hexastyle portico to W with deep entablature ornamented with Empire wreath ornamentation in frieze pediment above; 3 doorways, the centre tall and having double leafed doors decorated with Greek key pattern. 6-bay flanks; plain windows flush to wall each with single Greek key patterned transom.
Projecting bay at E supports single stage tower surmounted by columned drum modelled on Choragic Monument of Lysicrates. Tall corniced and louvred openings and clock to each tower face; clasping angle pilasters.
INTERIOR: panelled gallery to 3 sides carried by simple wooden pillars with Greek key-patterned parapet. Giant pilasters to E wall; plain wooden pews. Circular panelled pulpit borne on single reeded Roman Doric column; domed sounding board (circular) with deep cornice and carved finial supported by pair reeded columns with Corinthian capitals; approached by flight of stairs with cast-iron balustrade.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Opened 28 Oct 1828. Pulpit installed in St Giles 1980 from Newington Parish Church, Edinburgh (now Queen's Hall). Former Item 28 (1981 Revised List).
H B Mackintosh, ELGIN PAST AND PRESENT, (1914), p.199-207.
NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT, xiii, p.9-10.
EDINBURGH EVENING COURANT, Aug 4, 1825 and May 20, 1826 (for advertisements for competition and tenders).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.
Buildings are assigned to one of three categories according to their relative importance. All listed buildings receive equal legal protection, and protection applies equally to the interior and exterior of all listed buildings regardless of category.
Buildings of national or international importance, either architectural or historic, or fine little-altered examples of some particular period, style or building type. (Approximately 8% of the total).
Buildings of regional or more than local importance, or major examples of some particular period, style or building type which may have been altered. (Approximately 51% of the total).
Buildings of local importance, lesser examples of any period, style, or building type, as originally constructed or moderately altered; and simple traditional buildings which group well with others in categories A and B. (Approximately 41% of the total).