HIGH STREET, LITTLE CROSS (Ref:30709)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 26/01/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 2190 6286.
Dated 1733. Round stone shaft capped by Ionic capital, 4
faced sundial and cast-iron finial standing on
four-stepped circular base. Carved faces of finial which
might represent St Giles or Virgin and Child, and which
appear to be of medieval date.
Repaired 1867. Present sundial is replica (1941), original
in Elgin Museum. Circular cobbled surround. Stands at E end
of High Street, at South and North College Street junction.
Original site of cross erected by Alexander Macdonald in
1402 at entrance to Cathedral Chanonry.
Former Item 27 (1981 Revised List). Scheduled Ancient Monument No 2370.
MacGibbon and Ross, THE CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE
OF SCOTLAND V (1892), p.398-9. Small, SCOTTISH MARKET
CROSSES (1899), plate 24. R G Cant and I G Lindsay, OLD
ELGIN (1945), p.14. H B Mackintosh, ELGIN PAST AND PRESENT.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.