42 GREENHILL GARDENS ROMAN CATHOLIC ARCHIEPISCOPAL CHAPEL (Ref:30521)
This building is in the Edinburgh Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 14/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NT 2482 7171.
Robert Weir Schultz, 1905-7 (see separate listing of adjoining archishops residence, St Bennet`s). Byzantine style, Greek cross-plan private chapel with narthex, aisles, apse and dome. Squared and snecked sandstone with contrasting polished ashlar dressings. Round-headed windows to sides and rear with rope hoodmouldings.
N ENTRANCE elevation: 3-bay narthex; gabled body of church behind with dome at crossing. Architraved round-arched doorway with Celtic carved keystone and impost blocks in central bay; deep-set 2-leaf boarded door with decorative iron hinges and fittings; flanking bays with similarly detailed paired windows set in round-arched panels with carved Celtic crosses in tympani. Ocagonal section drum comprising round-headed panels each with narrow round-arched windows; drum above.
S ELEVATION: canted apse to centre; single window to each face.
E ELEVATION: adjoined to house by 1930s offices.
W ELEVATION: gabled tripartite window to centre; single window to outer right; 2 windows to outer left. Fixed leaded narrow windows to narthex and dome; stained glass windows to chapel. Green copper roofs; pitched roof to chapel; lean-to roof to narthex; copper dome; original lead rainwater goods, including hoppers, downpipes and brackets.
INTERIOR: outstanding classical Italianate style (see notes); geometrical parquet flooring; dado panelling; carved panels; panelled door; domed and vaulted spaces formed by half timber,half plaster columns,fluted columns and pilasters; gilded capitals; decorative plasterwork to barrel vaults; podium, lectern and missal stand by Messrs Scott and Hunter; prie-dieu designed by Schultz and executed by Ernest Gimson; stained glass, 3 lights to apse and 3 lights to W, by Gabriel Loire of Chartres 1969. GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: 2 obelisk gatepiers and quadrant walls to Greenhill gardens; high coped rubble boundary and mutual walls; sundial pedestal (formerly in the grounds of Grange House).
A-Group with 42 Greenhill gardens (house). The third Marquess of Bute (died 1900) bequeathed a sum of money for the construction of a domestic chapel for the Archishop of St Andrews and Edinburgh. Much of the interior had been designed by William Frame in 1889 for the cahpel at the House of Falkland, Fife. After Frame had been dismissed for drunkenness his scheme was abandoned and the completed work packed away. Robert Weir Schultz replaced Frame at the House of Falkland and was also Lord Bute`s choice of architect for the archbishops chapel. In 1899 Schultz had designed a subterranean brick chapel (Byzantine in style and plan) for Lord Bute in the grounds of St John`s Lodge, Regent`s Park, London. The archishop`s chapel appears to be an above ground reworking of the St Johns Lodge chapel, reusing the internal fittings designed by Frame. Account books show that the old parquet flooring was relayed by Scott, Morton & Co, and that a dozen small chairs and prie-dieux were ordered to Schultz`s design from the workshops of Ernest Gimson (a single prie-dieu remains). S Sophia (1882-87), Galston and St MIldred`s (1928), Linlithgow, by R R Anderson and Dick Peddie and Todd respectively share the unusual choice of Byzantine style with the archiepiscopal chapel.
Dean of Guild 5/10/1905; Builder 2/3/1907; p271; C Cruft Extracts from Weir Schultz office contract journals, fee books, etc. (n.d), NMRS; D Ottewill "Robert Weir Schultz" Architectural History Vol 22 (1979), p91; G Stamp Robert Weir Schultz, architect and his work for the Marquesses of Bute (1981), pp57-60; Gifford et al. Edinburgh (1984), p615; Cardinal GJ Gray St Bennet`s, Archbishop`s House, Edinburgh (1987), pp4-5.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.