1-12 BRUNTSFIELD CRESCENT BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGS (Ref:30498)
This building is in the Edinburgh, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/04/1991.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NT 2489 7211.
David MacGibbon and Thomas Ross for W and D McGregor, builders 1870-73. 2-storey, attic and basement terrace of 12, 2-bay, imposing Baronial villas. Dividing string course, 1st floor lintel course, cornice. Nos 1 and 12 with minor alterations by Robert Lorimer.
Principal Elevation (S): Nos 2-6 each comprising depressed-arched doorway in bay to outer right, hoodmoulded with keystone abutting centre of corbel-course above. 3-light canted bay to outer left rising to 1st floor surmounted by blind parapet (decorative ironwork railings to balcony at no 1); single window in gable-head above surmounted by semi-circular pediment. Outer left bay crowstep-gabled with mannered finial, recessed flanks above ground with ball-finialled angle piers rising oncorbels from eaves cornice; outer right bay above doorway, single window, dormer window above the finialled semi-circular dormerhead. Nos 7-11: mirror image of 2-6.
No 1: as 2-11 but with round-arched doorway.
No 12: mirror image of No 1.
Return at No 1: broad slightly advance stack at centre of crow-stepped gable, (altered to rear), eaves course moulded over date panel carved "AD 1870". Single storey, single bay later addition with mullioned and transomed bipartite breaking eaves in crow-stepped dormerhead.
Return at No 12: single bay with canted lead oriel in re-entrant with recessed wing, single bay with single storey bay toouter right. Ground floor window altered. Plate glass sash and case windows. Grey slate roofs. Moulded stacks with coping and full complements of cans to mutual and end gables.
Interior No 1: some wood-carving, panelling and plasterwork designed by Lorimer notably chimney piece with bird motif carving and doorways with chaste rococo panels and carved over-doors.
Interior Nos 2-12: some rich plasterwork in principal rooms. Ornate wrought- and ast-iron railings to street, stone gatepiers and steps to entrance with railings. Cast-iron gates to basement flats.
Professor James Lorimer (father of Robert and John Henry) lived at No 1 Bruntsfield crescent form 1873 until his death in 1890. The house was acquired by the hospital towards the end of the 1920s. The terrace is outstanding for its impressive sweep, good quality design in the Baronial style and fine. distinctive railings.
Gifford et al. Edinburgh (1984) p.499. P Savage Sir Robert Lorimer PhD Thesis, Edinburgh University (1973).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.