48 AND 50 DICK PLACE INCLUDING GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS (Ref:30368)
This building is in the Edinburgh, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 14/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NT 2571 7173.
Frederick T Pilkington, circa 1863. 2-storey with mezanine, cellar and attic, 4-bay (garden elevation) symmetrical rectangular-plan double villa in a sturdy free interpretation of gothic Romanesque. Pink bull-faced sandstone with cream ashlar dressings; chamfererd reveals. N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: mirrored about centre; advanced enclosed court adjoined at centre with single windows behind; bipartite windows at 1st floor; canted piend-roofed dormers breaking eaves above. Flat-roofed 2-storey projections in penultimate bays with jetted 1st floor and chamfered angles (leaded tripartite windows at ground, 2 narrow windows at 1st floor). Gabled porch adjoined to outer return: timber barrel-vaulted Soffit; round-arched with crowsteps and sylized capitals; 2-leasf panelled door. Broad shouldered wallhead stacks behind with triangular lancets (for stacks see below). 1 single window at 1st floor. Chamfered outer angles with narrow windows, pointed-arched at 1st floor, as chamfer sweptto square. S (GARDEN) ELEVATION: 4-bay symmetrical; broadly chamfered angles with steeply shouldered wallhead stacks. Single windows in bays flanking centre at ground; bipartite windows at 1st floor. Full-height canted windows in outer bays (1 with French window), carved lintel to centre light at ground floor. Colonette mullions to 1st floor windows with bases extending down to lintel level and corbelled from lintel level at ground. Carved lintels to 1st floor windows. E AND W ELEVATIONS: largely blank; garages adjoining; timber-framed glass lean-to to outer left. Plate glass sash and case windows. Grey slate piended roof; lead flashing; 1 ridge stack, 4 shouldered wallhead stacks; all stacks with individual flues linked by acanthus cornice and heavy coping. INTERIOR (NO 50): inticate planning with principal rooms to rear set at 45 degrees to main elevations; distinctive plasterwork throughout; carved newels and barleysugar balustrade; original fireplace; tripartite vestibule door with etched glass in outer panels; encaustic tiled vestibule. BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: low saddle back wall to street with round-headed gatepiers; high retaining and mutual walls.
48 and 50 Dick Place are the only known pair of semi-detached villas by Pilkington. The houses were built on part of a large parcel of land feued from Sir John Dick Lauder in September 1864. Pilkington built his own house, "Egremond" (see 38 Dick Place), on the other. The land on which the semi-detached villas stand was transfered or sold to the Misses Janet, Elizabeth, and Margaret Wallace Millie in December 1864.
Sasines 28/10/1864, 16/12/1864; OS 1877; Po Directory 1864; Grange Association (1982), p53;
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.