46A DICK PLACE AND BOUNDARY WALLS (Ref:30367)
This building is in the Edinburgh, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 29/04/1988.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NT 2576 7169.
William Hardie Kininmonth, 1934. International Modern stryle house sited on sloping site, main house comprising 2 2-storey rectangular blocks and single storey apsidal block; Grange linked to house by concrete per gola; single storey extension to N (1953) and detached single storey studio (1961). Harled brick. Exposed concrete lintel courses and coping; windows flush with wall surface.
S (GARDEN) ELEVATION: large 13-light bow window at principal floor to outer left, incorporating 2 pairs of French windows in terminal lights; parapet above to paved roof-garden; concrete canopy over 4-pane strip window pierced and supported by circular chimney stack to rear of roof garden; 2 sets of French windows to roofgarden. 5-pane strip window at principal floor to block to outer right; 3-panel window above.
W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: tripartite small-pane glazed porch door at centre; carved and initialled datestone above; advanced 2-storey block to outer left; 3-panel window at ground floor; bipartite window at 1st floor.
N ELEVATION: triangular projecting stair window; 1953 single storey extension to outer left with similar long panel windows.
E ELEVATION: bipartite windows at ground floor; bipartite window at 1st floor; 1953 extrension to outer right.
STUDIO: 1961; single storey flat-roofed harled rectangular-plan building to NW of main house; tripartite window to S.
Timber framed fixed and casement windows; long plate glass panel or strip window glazing pattern; lying pane stair window. Flat roofs (originally asphalted); segmental concrete coping; harled circular stack with single can to W; internal drainage; airbricks.
INTERIOR: partially open-plan at ground floor; original ply-wood floor tiles; fireplace; built-in cupboards.
BOUNDARY WALLS: high coped rubble boundary walls to The Lane, terminating in harled brick wall with pedestrian gateway to house; timber lattice gate in same style as porch door. Concrete pergola connecting house to gateway. Single storey flat-roofed garage.
Kininmonth designed his own house at Dick Place at the outset of his career. The main house and garage cost $500 to complete in 1934, as did each subsequent extension in 1953 and 1961. The terraced garden already existed as part of the estate of F T Pilkington's Grange Park House of 1964-70. When the house was first built, 2 coats of lime wash were applied to the brick walls. As a concession to the weather, the walls were later harled. The only fixed source of heat was the coal fire in the living room. The initial design for a sliding bow window was abandoned, presumably for climatic reasons also.
Dean of Guild 5/1/1934, 1/5/1953, 19/5/1961; R R Phillips, HOUSES FOR MODERATE MEANS (1936), pp98-9; C McKean, THE SCOTTISH THIRTIES (1987) p182.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.