HMSO STORE, 11 BANKHEAD BROADWAY, SIGHTHILL INDUSTRIAL ESTATE (Ref:30250)
This building is in the Edinburgh, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 29/11/1990.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: N/A.
1949-50. Stewart Sim, architect of the Ministry of Works. Structurally innovative and economic functional Modernism on a large warehouse block, using pioneering techniques for pre-stressed concrete frame construction (see note), and anodized aluminium cladding. 3-storey, with 2 suspended floors; grid of flexible pre-stressed floor beams with sandwich-plate anchorages on reinforced concrete load-bearing pilotti columns. Ribbed concrete base; plastic interior partition walls; continuous steel-framed windows between aluminium panelling for natural lighting into storage floors. Asthetics not ignored: long symmetrical lines pinned down on end elevations by vertical glazed stair bays; concrete stairs cantilevered out around (blue) concrete newel, exposed through apsidal glass frames, and steel canopy porches on steel ros props at (stair) entrances. Deep concrete canopy at loading bay at south. Punched aluminium 'parapet'; portholes in cubic lift-shaft blocks centre at rear (north). Rainwater and service pipes concealed, the former taken down centre of beams. Columns on each floor originally painted in 3 pastel colours. Pair contemporary flagpoles in front of entrance/loadng bay front (south), and short cubic gatepiers (concrete) at eastern entrances.
Controversial and internationally high-profile opening ceremony 9 December 1950. Press release referred to the warehouse as "the first multi-storeyed building to be erected in Europe in pre-stressed concrete".
Architect, Stewart Sim; Pre-stressed concrete contractors, Costain Ltd; Structural Engineers, Webster and Pearson.
HIS MAJESTY`S STATIONERY OFFICE, including "Note on the Construction", by the Scottish Headquarters of the Ministry of Works, 1950.
EVENING DISPATCH, 9, 11, 15 December 1950.
EDINBURGH EVENING NEWS, 9 December 1950.
THE SCOTSMAN, 11 December 1950.
SUNDAY EXPRESS, 10 December 1950.
SUNDAY POST, 10 December 1950
DAILY TELEGRAPH, 11 December 1950
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.