GRANTON HARBOUR, MID PIER INCLUDING SLIPWAYS, WHARVES AND LAMP STANDARDS (Ref:30216)
This building is in the Edinburgh, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 28/11/1989.
Group Items: See notes,
Group Cat: A,
Map Ref: NT 2385 7736.
James Walker and A Burgess of London, 1835-45 with later additions, to initial designs by Robert Stevenson. 1700ft pier. Main section: coursed rockfaced sandstone sides stepped slightly out towards base and tooled sandstone kerb blocks. Fin-shaped concrete wharf (on concrete posts) added to N by L Mouchel and Partners with A Hannay Thompson, General Superintendent Engineer, 1936. 2 timber wharves to E side (the southernmost one adjacent to stone-built warehouse), both set within recesses in pier, the sides of which are of stugged ashlar, stepped out towards base. Corrugated metal facing to W side of pier. 4 slipways to E side: that to N with coursed stugged sandstone sides and stone setts to surface; slipway to S has sides and kerb blocks of stugged ashlar droved at edges and concreted slipway; timber wharf to W; metal crane on concrete base directly to N: 2 slipways added to SE angle of pier by Sir Thomas Bouch in 1846-48; space in between curved in order to accommodate bows/sterns of railway ferries; both of stugged ashlar droved at edges; surface of stone setts and stone flags to larger slipway; mainly uneven stone flags to smaller slipway; curved wall in between has projecting lip at ground level.Some stone setts to main section of pier. Railway tracks in parts. Various structures including stone built warehouse and leading light (see separate list descriptions). Large mid 20th century brick and corrugated iron warehouse and late 20th century circular brick pilot station towards tip of pier. Parts remain (some incorporated into later buildings) of original stugged ashlar dividing wall running N/S; also coursed snecked sandstone railway retaining wall opposite.LAMP STANDARDS: 5 cast iron gas lamp standards remain, variously intact and mostly on later stone bases; with 'Granton Pier' in embossed letters; some with 'Alloa Foundry 18--' and some 'Shotts'.
A group with stone built warehouse, 1-4 Granton Square and former Granton Hotel (all part of the original planned waterside developments of the Duke of Buccleuch of the 1830's. Mid pier is significant as the first 'Ro-Ro' railway ferry terminus; it was from here that loaded railway trucks were directly transferred into large steamers (saving the need for them to be unloaded and loaded again); this was managed by means of moveable stages and powerful stationary engines, designed by Thomas Bouch. Appearance of pier has been altered by reclamation of foreshore between here and western breakwater pier circa 1970. See also leading light.
PLANS and SECTIONS of Granton Harbour, 1835-45 (RHP 9474-9498 and RHP 2811) and PLANS and SECTIONS of extensions to Mid Pier, 1936-37 (RHP31901-04) at Scottish Record Office, West Register House; appears on First Edition ORDNANCE SURVEY map 6" to 1 mile, surveyed 1852, published 1855, Edinburgh Sheet 2; Francis H Groome, ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND (1883) p213; GRANTON HARBOUR HANDBOOK published by Ed J Burrow & Co with foreword by the Duke of Buccleuch (post-1955); John Gifford, Colin McWilliam and David Walker EDINBURGH in
'The Buildings of Scotland' series (first published 1984, this edition 1991) p602.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.