24 RUSSELL PLACE, GOTHIC COTTAGE, WITH BOUNDARY WALL (Ref:30157)
This building is in the Edinburgh, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 12/12/1974.
Group Items: see notes,
Group Cat: A,
Map Ref: NT 2489 7681.
Circa 1825. Single storey 3-bay piend-roofed gothic cottage. Polished ashlar to front, coursed rubble to sides and rear. Base course, overhanging eaves. Chamfered surrounds to windows and door.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: piend-roofed advanced bay, with doorway flanked by 2 windows set back in veranda formed by flanking stone piers with arch-headed recessed panels, linked by delicate cast iron 2-arched grille; cast-iron tracery at eaves; timber panelled door with decorative fanlight above in chamfered surround, flanked by 2 bipartite gothic windows. Mirrored bays to left and right have stone piers with arch-headed recessed panels to outer sides and hoodmoulded bipartite gothic windows.
Lying-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Diagonally set decorative square-section corniced stacks on ridges,with octagonal cans.
Elegantly detailed early example of a gothic cottage ornee. A group comprises 3 gothic cottages, Nos 22, 23 and 24 Russell Place. The cottages form part of the early 19th century projected development of the lands of Trinity Mains by the lawyer Alexander Scott, shown on Wood's 1826 plan of Leith.
Appears on Wood's 1826 map of Leith. Gifford, MacWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1984) p614.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.
Buildings are assigned to one of three categories according to their relative importance. All listed buildings receive equal legal protection, and protection applies equally to the interior and exterior of all listed buildings regardless of category.
Buildings of national or international importance, either architectural or historic, or fine little-altered examples of some particular period, style or building type. (Approximately 8% of the total).
Buildings of regional or more than local importance, or major examples of some particular period, style or building type which may have been altered. (Approximately 51% of the total).
Buildings of local importance, lesser examples of any period, style, or building type, as originally constructed or moderately altered; and simple traditional buildings which group well with others in categories A and B. (Approximately 41% of the total).