7 CLERK STREET, FORMER ODEON CINEMA (NEW VICTORIA CINEMA) (Ref:30028)
This building is in the Edinburgh Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 12/12/1974.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NT 2618 7279.
W E Trent of London with John Jerdan as executant architect, 1930.
Art Deco cinema comprising 2-storey, 5-bay, faience-clad, entrance front with deeply recessed doorway under projecting canopy and Art Deco tetrastyle Doric portico in antis at 1st floor; large, gabled brick auditorium to rear.
FRONT ELEVATION: 2 shallow steps to outer lobby recessed between outer bays; 4 pairs of late 20th century glazed doors; canopy overhanging pavement. Tetrastyle Doric portico in antis at first floor with Art Deco railings between columns, projecting modillioned cornice and stepped Art Deco pediment; single windows with Art Deco glazing to outer bays; 3 arched openings with Art Deco French Doors at rear of portico.
INTERIOR (seen 2012): some alterations (see Notes) but majority of original Art Deco decorative scheme still intact. Entrance Foyer: largely modernised, but some ceiling plasterwork survives above false ceiling; original tartan pattern terrazzo floor tiles survive under modern carpet. Inner Stalls Lounge: original decorative scheme largely complete with Ionic half-columns flanking doors, Art Deco over-door panels, radiator covers and plaster cornices. 1st Floor Tea Room: original decorative scheme largely complete with coffered ceiling, plasterwork and shallow arched recesses. Auditorium: divided into 4 sections but retaining most of original features including aedicules with one surviving statue by the sculptor Beattie, representing the Arts set between Ionic pilasters; decorative plasterwork; parts of the proscenium and two former private boxes. Plasterwork, Art Deco glazed doors and other original fixtures survive elsewhere, including light fittings.
Designed by the renowned cinema architect W E Trent and opened in 1930, as the New Victoria Cinema, this building is an outstanding example of an Art Deco cinema in Scotland and the United Kingdom. It is Scotland's best surviving example of a cinema from this period which includes a largely extant original interior decoration scheme. During the 1980s the original auditorium was divided up into several smaller auditoria, and a number of other alterations have been carried out (particularly in the entrance foyer). However, this work has been done in a largely reversible manner and most of the original decorative scheme has been retained, although some parts are currently concealed behind false ceilings and other additions.
The New Victoria Cinema was initially planned under the auspices of the Provincial Cinematograph Theatres (PCT), although by the time it opened the company had been taken over by the giant Gaumont British company. PCT had been founded in 1909 with the aim of providing a diverse chain of cinemas around Britain and were an unusually early example of a chain with national aspirations. PCT cinemas had luxuriously appointed interiors, central locations and ran continuous performances. In 1925 William Edward Trent was appointed as their chief architect, a position he retained under Gaumont.
Although W E Trent had designed very few cinemas prior to his appointment by PCT, he subsequently became one of the leading cinema designers in Britain, his works including a number of architecturally distinctive and lavishly appointed Gaumont Palace cinemas in England. Cinemas tended to be built by local architects and therefore examples in Scotland by leading English architects are very rare. The New Victoria cinema is the best (and only large-scale) example of a custom-built PCT/Gaumont cinema in Scotland and the best and most intact example of an acclaimed English architect's work in Scotland.
The interior and exterior treatment of the cinema is unusual, marking a transitional period in the work of W E Trent, the development of the PCT/Gaumont chain and the development of cinema design more generally. The external treatment is demonstrative of the emergence of Art Deco from the Neoclassical styling that had been popular in the 1920s. This is also evident internally, especially in the auditorium, which was designed to give the impression of an open-air Greek or Pompeian (contemporary accounts disagree) amphitheatre with a temple-style pediment framing the stage. This style is best described as semi-atmospheric.
Atmospheric cinemas were designed to give the audience the impression that they were sitting outside and were pioneered in America in the 1920s. The first examples in the UK were built from 1928, but they were not very common. The semi-atmospheric intention here, combined with Neoclassical and Art Deco detailing is highly unusual and was not repeated in any of the other PCT/Gaumont cinemas by Trent. The majority of other atmospheric cinemas built in Scotland have either lost their interiors or been completely demolished. Only one truly atmospheric cinema now survives in Scotland: the Picture House in Campbeltown (see separate listing) which has also been somewhat altered and was built on a much smaller scale than the New Victoria. No semi-atmospheric cinemas of comparable scale and style to the New Victoria survive in Britain.
List description revised and category changed from B to A, 2012.
Dean of Guild Drawings. Edinburgh Evening News, 18th August 1930 (details of opening). `What Is The Ideal Cinema?' article (interview with architect) in Cinema News and Property Gazette, 3rd September 1930. CTA, Cinemas Thematic Survey - New Victoria / Odeon Cinema (2007).
www.scottishcinemas.org.uk/edinburgh/newvictoria [accessed 6.2.12, contains full photographic survey, historic photos and detailed description of surviving features and alterations]. Simpson and Brown, Odeon Cinema Conservation Plan (September 2007). Colliers International, Building Survey Report (October 2011)
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.