24 YORK ROAD, GOTHIC HOUSE, WITH BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS (Ref:29998)
This building is in the Edinburgh, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 14/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NT 2503 7677.
Circa 1820. 2 storey 3-bay Tudor gothic house, with pinnacled porch and projecting windows; later alterations and extensions. Smooth pale ashlar to front, coursed rubble to sides and rear. Base course; crenellated parapets; gabletted pinnacles; gablet-coped skews. Tudor-arched lights with timber mullions to principal elevation.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: entrance in Tudor-arched porch with crenellated parapet, flanked by square tourelles, rising to octagonal ball-finialled pinnacles; lancet windows with stained glass in returns of porch; timber panelled door with flanked by narrow rectangular windows; 2-light window in moulded surround to 1st floor, flanked by gabletted and finialled pinnacles, linked by crenellated parapet. Projecting 3-light windows at ground floor in side bays, flanked by diagonally-set gabletted and finialled pinnacles, linked by crenellated parapets; 2-light windows in moulded surrounds in wallhead gables above; gabled skews with ball finials on diagonally-set square section pedestals to gables. Gabletted and finialled square section pinnacles rising from ground clasp outer corners.
N AND S (SIDE) ELEVATIONS: windows in moulded surrounds, blind at 1st floor. Crow-stepped gables. Square section gabletted and finialled pinnacles at corners. Single storey pitched roofed building to N with timber Gothic windows. Single storey pitched-roofed stone building with stop-chamfered corners and pointed-arched opening adapted to garage to SE.
E (REAR) ELEVATION: 3 bays, stepped left to right. 2-light windows with stone mullions to ground and 1st floor in left bay. Small window to ground, tall window with timber Gothic astragals at 1st floor in centre bay. Single windows to ground and 1st in right bay. Projecting wing to right much altered and extended.
INTERIORS: interesting plaster-work, chimney-pieces, stained glass etc.
Small-pane lying-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Diagonally-set square section slender coped ashlar stacks with octagonal cans.
BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS: ashlar-coped rubble wall to front. 2 sets of octagonal-section gatepiers with conical caps.
Built in the 1st phase of feuing by the lawyer Alexander Scott of the lands of Trinity Mains farm. The intended feuing is shown on Kirkwood's map of 1817. A plan of 1838 (NMRS DC 6572&3) indicates that Gothic House belonged to Mr Scott himself.
Appears on Wood's 1826 plan of Leith. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1984) p614. Youngson THE MAKING OF CLASSICAL EDINBURGH pl 78. Photographs in NMRS.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.