1-4 (INCLUSIVE NOS) WARRISTON CRESCENT AND 1-4 (INCLUSIVE NOS) WARRISTON PLACE, WITH RAILINGS (Ref:29893)
This building is in the Edinburgh, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 25/11/1965.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NT 2515 7511.
James Gillespie Graham, circa 1817. 3-storey and basement corner block of tenements; shops to ground floor of Nos 1, 2 and 4 Warriston Place. Droved sandstone ashlar with polished dressings, coursed rubble to side and rear. Cill courses at ground and 2nd floor; dividing band between basement and ground and between ground and 1st floor; eaves cornice (blocking course, raised at centre to Nos 2 and 3 Warriston Cresent).
SW (WARRISTON PLACE) ELEVATION: 8 bays; regularly fenestrated. Blind windows to 1st and 2nd floors of outer left bay. 2-leaf timber panelled door to No 4 (now shop, painted). Centre 3 bays slightly stepped forward. Shop front (now a restaurant) built out over basements at Nos 1 and 2. Doors in 3rd, 4th and 5th bays from left.
NW (WARRISTON CRESCENT) ELEVATION: 9 bays; regularly fenestrated; blind windows to 1st and 2nd floors of penultimate bay to right. Timber panelled doors with plate glass fanlights (blocked at No3) in 3rd, 4th, 5th and 8th bays from left; arched stair platts over-sailing basement areas.
Mix of 12-pane glazing and plate glass in timber sash and case windows (replaced at No 1, casements 1st floor at No 2 Warriston Crescent, plate glass at No 4 Warriston Place). Grey slates. Stone skews. Coped ashlar stacks (some rebuilt) with circular cans.
RAILINGS: cast-iron handrails to steps and spear-headed railings to street at Nos 1-4 Warriston Crescent.
Alexander Henderson's Warriston estate, formerly the site of West Warriston House, was laid out for building by James Gillespie Graham in 1807.
Appears on Kirkwood's 1817 map. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1984) p581.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.