14 ST BERNARD'S CRESCENT AND 36, 38 DANUBE STREET INCLUDING RAILINGS AND LAMP STANDARDS (Ref:29716)
This building is in the Edinburgh, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 27/10/1965.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NT 24375 74460.
James Milne, begun 1824. Prominent 2-storey, basement and attic, 4-bay corner tenement in plain classical style with giant order anta pilasters and pilastered ashlar attic storey. Sandstone ashlar. Entrance platts oversailing basement area recess to street. Banded base course; moulded cornice at 1st floor with plain entablature; corniced eaves with narrow blocking course over. Inset doorways; boarded 4-panel timber doors and rectangular fanlights. Inset cast-iron balustrades to 1st floor windows. 2 blind bays to right at 1st floor of NE (Danube Street) elevation.
SE (REAR) ELEVATION: coursed squared rubble with tooled ashlar rybats, lintels and cills.
Predominantly 12-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows,
4- over 12-lying pane glazing at 1st floor. Double-pitched roof; grey slates. Corniced rendered wallhead stack to NE (Danube Street) elevation; corniced ashlar wallhead stacks; some clay cans. Cast-iron railings edging basement area recess to street, incorporating decorative lamp standards with large bowl shades.
INTERIOR: (selection of interiors seen 2010) decorative classical scheme, characterised by intricate plasterwork, large drawing rooms and stone stairs with well-detailed balustrades, topped by large cupolas. Some later conversion to flats.
14 St Bernard's Crescent is a prominent and finely detailed corner block forming part of an outstanding example of early nineteenth century urban planning with a classical design scheme by prominent architect James Milne. The block is well proportioned, with simple classical detailing, including the use of Greek sources for the anta pilasters. The terrace was designed as a key part of the development of the land of Sir Henry Raeburn. There is an emphasis on the horizontal in the designs with the use of the colonnade and a long horizontal glazing pattern, particularly evident in some of the 1st floor windows to St Bernard's Crescent. This building is an integral part of Edinburgh¿s New Town, which is an outstanding example of classical urban planning that was influential throughout Britain and Europe.
The design of a double crescent was suggested by Sir David Wilkie in order to preserve a portion of the avenue of elms that had led to Deanhaugh House. The crescent was quickly acknowledged as one of the grandest in Edinburgh, especially for the centrepiece of the northern side. Although the design for the whole area was not completed by Milne, later additions have interpreted his original design scheme and do not dilute the clarity of the plain Greek classical facades.
Henry Raeburn was born in Stockbridge and acquired the house and grounds of Deanhaugh through marriage, before adding adjacent land at St Bernard¿s. He occupied St Bernard's House until his death in 1823 when it was demolished to accommodate the growing residential development of the estate, making space for the eastern side of Carlton Street. James Milne is likely to have been involved in designs for a number of the streets, including Ann Street (see separate listing) and the development is characterised by his use of simple classical detailing and Greek sources for his designs.
James Milne was an architect and mason working in Edinburgh between 1809 and 1834 (when he moved to Newcastle). His other works in Edinburgh also include Lynedoch Place and Saxe-Coburg Place (see separate listings). Milne was also the author of The Elements of Architecture only the 1st volume of which was published in Edinburgh in 1812.
(List description updated at re-survey 2012).
Ordnance Survey, Large Scale Town Plan (1849 - 53). Ordnance Survey, Large Scale Town Plan (1893-4). J Gifford, C McWilliam, D M Walker, The Buildings of Scotland: Edinburgh (1988) p406. A J Youngson, The Making of Classical Edinburgh (1988) pp271-2. H Colvin, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840 (1995) p658. Richard Roger, The Transformation of Edinburgh: Land, Property and Trust in the Nineteenth Century (2004) p248.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.