30 AND 31 RUTLAND SQUARE, INCLUDING RAILINGS AND LAMP STANDARDS (Ref:29691)
This building is in the Edinburgh Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 14/12/1970.
Group Items: see notes,
Group Cat: A,
Map Ref: NT 2459 7357.
John Tait, circa 1830-1840, with later alterations. 3-storey and later attic over basement, 7-bay symmetrical pair of tenement blocks (converted as offices); continuous tile-hung 5-bay attic storey above. Droved sandstone ashlar at basement; polished sandstone above with polished dressings. Band course between basement and ground floors and between ground and 1st floors; cill course to 2nd floor; cornice and blocking course; cornice to attic storey. Ashlar steps and entrance platts oversailing basement.
SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: timber door with fanlight in each bay flanking centre at basement; windows in remaining bays. Plain, heavy architraved and corniced doorpiece with timber panelled door and rectangular fanlight in each bay flanking; windows in remaining bays at ground floor and to upper floors above. Bipartite windows in bay at centre and at outer bays to attic storey, single windows in remaining bays.
SE ELEVATION: obscured by adjacent building.
NE AND NW ELEVATIONS: not seen 2000.
Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows, with some 2- and 4-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof. Tall, coped and rendered stacks with tall cylindrical cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIORS: not seen, 1998.
RAILINGS AND LAMP STANDARDS: spear-headed, cast-iron railings (plain up steps to doors) mounted on ashlar cope to street; cast-iron railing-mounted lamp standards with glass globe to No 30.
Part of the Edinburgh New Town A-Group, a significant surviving part of one of the most important and best preserved examples of urban planning in Britain. Rutland Square was planned and designed in 1819 by Archibald Elliot. The 1840 PO Directory map gives the impression that the terminations to the SW end of Rutland Street had not been completed by that date - certainly they do not seem to extend 'round the corner' into Rutland Square. Much more of the design, paradoxically, features on Wood's 1823 map (including this corner section), before the scheme had even been commenced. John Learmonth had bought the ground in 1825 and developed it from 1830. His architect, John Tait, built the square to Elliot's plans with this plain block finishing the NW range to the entrance to the Square from Rutland Street. The group, adjoining No 32 to the right, with its giant Corinthian pilasters, is echoed by 2-4 Rutland Square (listed separately).
J Wood, (1823); PLAN OF THE CITY OF EDINBURGH, INCLUDING ALL THE LATEST AND INTENDED IMPROVEMENTS, circa 1827; 1853 OS MAP; J Gifford, C McWilliam and D Walker, EDINBURGH (Buildings of Scotland series), (1984), p379; M Glendinning, R MacInnes and A MacKecknie, A HISTORY OF SCOTTISH ARCHITECTURE, (1996), p556.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.