2-4 (INCLUSIVE NOS) RUTLAND SQUARE, INCLUDING RAILINGS AND LAMP STANDARD (Ref:29687)
This building is in the Edinburgh Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 14/12/1970.
Group Items: see notes,
Group Cat: A,
Map Ref: NT 2464 7353.
John Tait, circa 1830-1840, with later alterations. 3-storey over basement, 8-bay near-symmetrical terrace. Broached sandstone ashlar at basement; polished sandstone ashlar above with polished dressings; squared and snecked rubble to SE elevation. Band course between basement and ground floors and between ground and 1st floors; cill course to 2nd floor; coped blocking course to cornice above. Windows at ground and 1st floors recessed with projecting cills and plain aprons; architraves with cornices and moulded reveals to outer doorways (Nos 2 and 4); ashlar steps and entrance platts oversailing basement.
SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: segmental-arched doorway with timber door and 3-pane segmental-arched fanlight at basement in bays beneath oversailing platts; windows in remaining bays. Deep-set timber panelled door with 4-pane rectangular fanlight to doorways at 3rd bay from either end (Nos 2 and 4 respectively) at ground floor; identical arrangement to plain doorway at left of No 4 (No 3). Regular fenestration to flanking bays and to all bays of upper floors.
SE ELEVATION: window at lower basement in bay to centre and in recessed bay to outer right; door with 3-pane fanlight to intervening bay and in bay at left; window at each central bay above, with additional window to left at attic.
NW ELEVATION: obscured by adjoining building.
NE ELEVATION: not seen 2000.
12-pane timber sash and case windows; 2-bay timber sash and case window at ground floor to SE elevation. Grey slate roof; coped skews. Coped, cement-rendered stacks with cylindrical cans to SE wallhead, at centre and to NW (mutual). Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 2000.
RAILINGS AND LAMP STANDARD: spear-headed (plain up steps to doors) cast-iron railings on ashlar copes; cast-iron railing-mounted lamp standard with glass globe to No 2.
Part of the Edinburgh New Town A-Group, a significant surviving part of one of the most important and best preserved examples of urban planning in Britain. Archibald Elliot planned the Rutland Square/Street scheme in 1819 for James Stuart. The scheme is outlined on John Wood's revised edition of the map first published by Thomas Brown in 1820, although at that stage it was still speculative. John Learmonth did not buy the ground until 1825, and he developed it from 1830. John Tait, his architect, worked to Elliot's plans and adopted the giant Corinthian pilaster motif at the entrance to the square (1 Rutland Square/28 Rutland Street and 32 Rutland Square/27 Rutland Street, listed separately). This part of the square does not appear on the 1840 PO Directory map, but the other 3 sides of Rutland Square do. The homogeneity of the Rutland development as a whole was compromised when half of the south-east side of Rutland Street was demolished to make way for the Caledonian Station and Nos 5-9 (odd nos), the rear of St Thomas' Church, were re-faced in the Romanesque manner in 1882 by Wardrop and Reid. Rutland Square, however, remains elegantly intact and, together with the remaining portions of Rutland Street, constitutes an important example of early 19th century planning in Edinburgh.
J Wood, (1823); PLAN OF THE CITY OF EDINBURGH, INCLUDING ALL THE LATEST AND INTENDED IMPROVEMENTS, circa 1827; J Gifford, C McWilliam and D Walker, EDINBURGH (Buildings of Scotland series), (1984), p379.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.