1 RUTLAND PLACE, AND 1 AND 3 RUTLAND STREET, RUTLAND HOTEL AND BAR, INCLUDING RAILINGS AND LAMP STANDARD (Ref:29685)
This building is in the Edinburgh Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 14/12/1970.
Group Items: see notes,
Group Cat: A,
Map Ref: NT 2467 7364.
Circa 1835 with later alterations. 4-storey over basement hotel with bar at ground floor, forming corner block of Rutland Street and Rutland Place; giant Corinthian pilasters through 1st and 2nd floors, tetrastyle to NE looking down Princes Street, penastyle on Rutland Place and Rutland Street; Doric pilasters dividing bays at 3rd floor; linking astylar 3-bay curved block and further astylar 3-storey, 3-bay block to SW, adjoining former St Thomas' Church (see separate listing). Painted sandstone ashlar at ground floor; polished sandstone ashlar above. Base course; cornice at ground floor; cill course to 2nd floor; string course to architrave and dentilled cornice at 2nd floor; cornice and blocking course at 3rd floor with pilastered and corniced panelled tablets at wallhead of 2 bays to middle of penastyle section to NW. Architraves to upper floor windows of 3-bay block.
NE (RUTLAND PLACE) ELEVATION: modern bar frontage at ground floor with recessed entrance at penultimate bay to right of pentastyle block to NW, comprising 2-leaf partially glazed wooden door with fanlight; cornice to window at left of 3-bay block, boarded architraved window to centre, panelled timber door with bracketed cornice to bay to outer right; stone flight to modern timber door at basement from outer right; recessed entrance comprising 2-leaf partially glazed wooden door with fanlight to centre of tetrastyle block to NE; regular fenestration to remaining bays at ground floor, upper floors and to all floors of corner bow.
SE (RUTLAND STREET) ELEVATION: hexastyle, 3-storey, 5-bay block with attic to right, central 3 bays slightly advanced; slightly recessed 2-storey and attic, 3-bay block to left. 5-bay block to right: bar frontage built out at ground floor spanning 3 bays to outer right; timber panelled door with large square fanlight to left; bipartite window with consoled cornice to outer left; window in each bay at 1st and 2nd floors; windows at 3rd floor in 3 bays to outer right; paired corniced ashlar wallhead stacks with uniting panel over central bay; dormer window to left. 3-bay block to left: stone L-plan flight to tall consoled doorpiece at ground floor in bay to centre; modern panelled timber door; window (blind) at 1st floor above. Stone flight to basement door in bay to right; window (blind) at ground and 1st floors; box dormer above. Blind window at each floor in bay to left; box dormer above.
SW ELEVATION: obscured by adjoining building.
Variety of glazing patterns including 2- and 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate platform roof; slate-hung dormers. Coped rendered wallhead stacks with cylindrical cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: fitted as modern bar at ground floor; unseen elsewhere.
RAILINGS AND LAMP STANDARD: decorative iron spear-headed railings around basement access to NW elevation and to right of SE elevation; incorporated lamp standard (converted to electricity) comprising scrolled shafts supporting glass globe with drum well above; replacement railings around entrance to left of SE elevation.
Part of the Edinburgh New Town A-Group, a significant surviving part of one of the most important and best preserved examples of urban planning in Britain. An imposing corner block sited to the west end of Princes Street and uniting Rutland Place with Rutland Street in an elegant bowed elevation. The south elevation of The Rutland Hotel remains as part of the north side of Rutland Street, the south side having been demolished to make way for the Caledonian Hotel and Station (see separate listing). This part of Rutland Street seems to feature in both Wood's 1823 map and the later PO Directory map. The complete street once formed 'a monumental entry [to Rutland Square] from the busy West End' (Gifford, McWilliam and Walker). Rutland Place, Street and Square were originally planned by Archibald Elliot in 1819 and built between 1830 and 1840. This block remains an important part of the scheme. The 1913 alterations to the ground floor by Bailey Murphy included the incorporation of a billiard room.
J Wood, (1823); PLAN OF THE CITY OF EDINBURGH, INCLUDING ALL THE LATEST AND INTENDED IMPROVEMENTS, circa 1827; 1840 PO Directory map; City Archives (Dean of Guild) 1913; J Gifford, C McWilliam and D Walker, EDINBURGH (Buildings of Scotland series), (1984), p379.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.