2-9A (INCLUSIVE NOS) RANDOLPH CLIFF, INCLUDING RAILINGS (Ref:29599)
This building is in the Edinburgh, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 14/12/1970.
Group Items: see notes,
Group Cat: A,
Map Ref: NT 2433 7392.
James Gillespie Graham, 1822, with later additions. 20-bay classical terrace stepped down to left, comprising predominantly 3-storey and basement, 10-bay central terrace, flanked by pair of 4-storey and basement 5-bay advanced terminal pavilions. Polished ashlar sandstone, with channelled rustication at principal floor. Band courses between basement and 1st floor, 1st and 2nd floors; corniced frieze at impost level at principal floor of No 1; cill course at 2nd floor; cornice at 2nd floor; cornice and blocking course at attic. Architraved windows at 1st and 2nd floor, corniced at 1st floor. Ashlar steps and entrance platts oversailing basement; double platts to Nos 2 and 3, and 5 and 6.
SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION, LINKING TERRACE: 10-bay, with attic addition to Nos 5 and 6. Panelled timber doors with rectilinear rectangular fanlights, in 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 8th and 9th bays from right; panelled timber door with plate glass rectangular fanlight in 5th bay from left; 4-panel former 2-leaf timber door with glazed upper panels and plate glass rectangular fanlight in 3rd bay from left. Windows in remaining bays at principal floor, regular fenestration to floors above; architraved windows with cornices at 1st floor, architraved windows at 2nd floor. Flagged basement area.
SW ELEVATION, TERMINAL PAVILIONS: pair of 5-bay terminal pavilions; terminal pavilion to right (No 1) with Doric pilasters flanking bays at 1st and 2nd floors, panelled pilasters flanking bays at 3rd floor. 4-panel timber door with thermal window pattern semicircular fanlight, centred at principal floor, with balustraded stair; windows in round-arched recesses in remaining bays at principal floor. glazed timber door to outer left at basement, with architrave and pediment. Regular fenestration to floors above and basement. Terminal pavilion to left (Nos 7-9) comprising 4-panel timber doors, with glazed upper panels at No 8, plate glass rectangular fanlights, centred and at outer right, at principal floor. Windows in remaining bays at principal floor, regular fenestration to floors above; windows architraved with cornices at 1st floor, central window surmounted by pediment, windows architraved at 2nd floor. Flagged basement areas.
NW ELEVATION: 3-storey and basement, 3-bay projecting block centred at NW elevation, with architraved windows at 1st and 2nd floors, corniced at 1st floor, with pediment at centre window; consoled stone balcony spanning bays at 1st floor; surmounted by cornice and balustraded parapet.
RANDOLPH CRESCENT RETURN TO TERMINAL PAVILION: 4-bay, becoming 16, 17 Randolph Crescent (see separate listing).
Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Anthemion and palmette window guards in bays at 1st floor of terminal pavilion to right. Grey slate roofs; 3 regularly spaced piended dormers to Nos 2-6. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Gablehead stack with central round-arched opening and ridge stacks; corniced, with circular cans.
INTERIORS: not seen, 1998.
RAILINGS: ashlar copes surmounted by cast-iron railings with spear-headed balusters and pineapple finials.
Part of the Edinburgh New Town A Group, a significant surviving part of one of the most important and best preserved examples of urban planning in Britain. The Moray Estate was designed for the 10th Earl of Moray (1771-1848). He inherited the 13 acre site from his father, after it was acquired from the Heriot Trust in 1782, and decided to feu the property for development in 1822. The complicated plan, with the crescent, oval and polygon of Randolph Crescent, Ainslie Place and Moray Place respectively, conjoins the New Town with the Second New Town. Building was completed in 1830-31.
Gifford, McWilliam and Walker, EDINBURGH (1984), pp355-6; MacRae Heritors 38.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.