3-22 (INCLUSIVE NUMBERS) LYNEDOCH PLACE, INCLUDING RAILINGS AND ARCHED LAMPHOLDERS (Ref:29275)
This building is in the Edinburgh, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 14/12/1970.
Group Items: (see Notes),
Group Cat: A,
Map Ref: NT 24357 73440.
James Milne, 1820; built 1823. Extensive classical terrace comprising 2-storey and basement, 3-bay townhouses with slightly advanced 9-bay 3-storey, pedimented centrepiece. Addition of canted bay to No. 22 by C.S.S. Johnston, 1893; later additions to No. 22 by Leadbetter, Fairley and Reid, 1938 -39. Set back from road with garden fronts on ground falling steeply across site to N. Later ashlar attic storeys to Nos. 3, 8, 9, 10, 11, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21; later canted and slate hung dormers to Nos. 12 and 22. Basement area including some vaulted cellars and retaining walls. Sandstone ashlar; droved at basement, channelled at ground floor. Banded base course and band course at ground floor. Banded cill course at 1st and 2nd floors. Corniced eaves course. Moulded architraved windows (corniced to centrepiece) at 1st floor to centre. Cast-iron 1st floor balconies to Nos. 17 and 18. Cast-iron railings to street, some with later arched cast-iron lamp holders with large glass bowls (see notes). Predominantly plate glass in timber sash and case with some 12-pane in timber sash and case; 12-over 2-pane in timber sash and case windows to No. 22. Double pitch M-section roof; grey slates. Corniced ashlar gable end and ridge stacks; modern clay cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods. INTERIOR: interiors typified by decorative classical scheme with well detailed cornicing at ground and 1st floors. Doric columned entrance hall to No. 21. Some L-shaped drawing rooms at 1st floor to front with ornate ceiling roses. Some later conversions to flats (2008).
A Group with Randolphcliff, Deanbrae House and Dean Bridge (see separate listings). A good example of the cohesive urban planning of James Milne. The design responds particularly well to the geography of the site with each house stepped into the slope. The design is unusual because the gardens are placed in front of the property to the street, similar to the design of Anne Street (see separate listing), a scheme for which Milne may also have been responsible. The later attic additions have not altered the composition and the original intention for the design of two long low wings flanking a taller pedimented central block is still clearly discernible.
The terrace was developed on land owned by Major James Weir and was broadly completed by 1823. However, by 1825 several of the houses were bought by the Heriot Trust on the advice of Gillespie Graham. Their intention was to knock the houses down in order to create a grand entrance to Graham's Coates development. By 1829, however, it was agreed that the prospect of the feuars agreeing to demolition or deviation from the original plan was so remote that the houses were sold at a considerable loss.
The terrace forms a strong group with the other buildings around the S end of the Dean Bridge, and with the bridge itself. Prior to the erection of the Dean Bridge Lynedoch place would have formed one of the main routes out of the city via Belford Bridge (see separate listing) to the W. Its prominent location on axis with the later Dean Bridge means the terrace still provides vital streetscape, and contributes to the articulation of one of the primary entrances into the New Town.
James Milne was an architect and mason working in Edinburgh between 1809 and 1834 (when he moved to Newcastle). His other works in Edinburgh also include Northumberland Place and Danube Street. Milne was also the author of The Elements of Architecture only the 1st volume of which was published in Edinburgh in 1812.
The later alterations to No. 22 were by Orcadian born architect Charles S S Johnston. He was articled to David Bryce after studying at Glasgow School of Art. He completed mostly small scale works to residential premises in Edinburgh in addition to some work in other parts of Scotland.
Further alterations were carried out by Leadbetter, Fairley and Reid in 1938-39 and it is likely that this was a change to the interior scheme.
The railings and arched lamp holders have been reinstated to most houses, and were cast from the original designs for the street.
(Category changed from B to A and list description revised 2009 as part of re-survey.)
John Wood, Plan of the City of Edinburgh, including all the latest and intended improvements (1823); Ordnance Survey, Large Scale Town Plan, (1849 - 53); J Gifford, C McWilliam, D M Walker, The Buildings of Scotland: Edinburgh (1988) p. 374; Youngson, The Making of Classical Edinburgh, (1988) p. 216. NMRS, Cowie and Seaton Collection, CSE 1930/14/1; NMRS, Watherston Collection, EDD 466/1-2; www.scottisharchitects.org.uk (accessed 28/5/2008); Information from the residents association (2008).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.