5-32 (INCLUSIVE NOS) HOWARD PLACE, WITH BOUNDARY WALLS, RAILINGS, LAMP FITTINGS AND GATES (Ref:29103)
This building is in the Edinburgh Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 25/11/1965.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NT 2513 7516.
James Gillespie Graham, 1809-20. Terrace of paired, mirrored 2-storey, 3-bay houses with basements, stepping up towards N. Small gardens to front (larger to rear), behind low walls with railings (some missing). Break in terrace (entrance to Warriston Park) between Nos 26 and 27. Sandstone ashlar; channelled ground floors; dividing courses between basement and ground and between ground and 1st floors; eaves cornices and blocking course. Access to principal entrances by arched stone platts over basement areas; stone steps behind railings down to basement entrances.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: Nos 5-26 - bull-faced ashlar to basements; cill course to 1st floor; droved ashlar above cill course to 1st floor; dentilled cornice to No 20. Nos 27-32 - droved ashlar to basement; polished ashlar to 1st floor; panelled aprons to windows at ground and 1st floor at Nos 29-32. Timber panelled doors (flush-panelled at No17) with fanlights above, some decorative (eg sunburst at Nos 13 and 15, umbrella to Nos 9 and 25, 5 horizontally arranged ovals at Nos 27 and 28).
Predominantly 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Some alteration to window openings at basements (eg at Nos 10 and 18). Mansard roof with 2 dormers at No 29. Graded grey slates; stone skews. Corniced ashlar stacks (some rebuilt) with circular cans.
BOUNDARY WALLS, RAILINGS, LAMP FITTINGS AND GATES: low boundary walls with droved ashlar coping to all front gardens. Cast-iron railings with curved handrails to stair platts; cast-iron railings (predominantly fleur-de-lys topped, some with fleury crosses or pine-cones at gateposts) to boundary walls and basement areas to a majority of houses. Some railing-mounted cast-iron light-fittings (that between Nos 21 and 22 intact). Few original gates remain.
Alexander Henderson's Warriston estate, formerly the site of West Warriston House, was laid out for building by James Gillespie Graham in 1807. Gifford etc suggests that Howard Place may be the first terrace in Edinburgh with front gardens. Robert Louis Stevenson was born on 13th November, 1850 at No 8 Howard Place.
Shown on Kirkwood's 1817 map, with a central section appearing complete. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1984) p581.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.