17 AND 18 HOPETOUN CRESCENT WITH RAILINGS (Ref:29099)
This building is in the Edinburgh Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 25/11/1965.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NT 2620 7495.
Robert Brown, building 1827. 2-storey with basement and attic, 6-bay terraced pair (see Notes). Sandstone ashlar with rubble to side and rear elevations painted columns and architraves. Base course, aprons to architraved windows at ground floor, continuous decorative iron balcony at 1st floor, corniced and architraved taller windows to 1st floor, eaves band and blocking course, cornices removed, ashlar steps and entrance platts oversailing basement.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: architraved doorpieces to each of 3 bays with fanlights, windows to bays remaining, colonnade of coupled Ionic fluted columns at ground, regular fenestration above, 4 small box dormers. Segmental arched windows to basement.
SW ELEVATION: blank gable wall.
NE ELEVATION: single storey brick built much later addition adjoining at ground.
Timber sash and case windows with 12-pane glazing at ground and 15-pane glazing at 1st floor, grey slates, gablehead and ashlar ridge stacks with terracotta cans, coped skews with moulded skewputts, harp and fleur-de-lys headed uniquely designed cast-iron railings.
INTERIOR: not seen 1998.
Originally Hope Crescent. Designed by Brown in 1825 and begun as a speculation by the architect Patrick Wilson, originally to be a complete crescent but in the end only 7, 8, 17, and 18 were built.
Register of Sasines. EEC January 8 1825. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker, EDINBURGH, (1988), p430.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.