4-10 (EVEN NOS) GRASSMARKET, INCLUDING FORMER CHURCH AND FRAGMENT OF FLODDEN WALL (Ref:28936)
This building is in the Edinburgh, City Of Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 13/08/1987.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NT 2530 7335.
Hardy and Wight, 1884. 2-storey rectangular-plan 4-bay gabled gothic church building in irregular terrace, with projecting porch and corner turret to left. Advanced, asymmetrical 4-storey 3-bay baronial tenement block canted to street line (shops at ground floor) with conically-roofed bartizan to right. Squared and snecked bull-faced grey sandstone with polished dressings. Moulded band between ground and 1st floors. Windows in roll-moulded surrounds.CHURCH: S ELEVATION: pitch-roofed projecting porch to right, with angle buttress to left, lit by small cusped lancet in W return; 2-leaf clouted timber boarded door in hoodmoulded pointed-arch surround with carved label stops; initials (WR) in carved panel above. Single window to left, stone-mullioned bipartite to centre, with relieving arches; carved inscription panel (see Notes) in decorative tripartite frame above; plate tracery in hoodmoulded stone-mullioned and transomed 3-light window above (leaded panes above, later glazing below). Corner turret to left above angle buttresses, with stone ribbed spire and pierced trefoil openings.W ELEVATION: 4 hoodmoulded lancets with carved label stops flanked by stepped buttresses at 1st floor. Lower level rendered; fragment of Flodden Wall exposed at SW.N (REAR) ELEVATION: circular window in gable wall of church; wall stack to left; piend-roofed projection to NE. Interior radically altered. TENEMENT: advanced bay to right: finialled crowstepped gable; shop window to right, timber panelled door to left at ground; stone-mullioned bipartite windows at 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors; corbelled band between 1st and 2nd and between 2nd and 3rd floors; initials in decorative panel over 3rd floor window. 2-bays to left: shop window to left at ground, 2-leaf timber panelled door to centre; barred metal gate to pend at right in round-arched roll-moulded surround with colonnettes above chamfered corners; stone-mullioned bipartites to left, single windows to right at 1st , 2nd and 3rd floors; finialled gabled dormerheads breaking eaves (crowstepped to left, segmental-headed to right, initials in gables). 2-stage bartizan corbelled out to outer left with decorative wrought-iron finial to fish-scale-slated roof.Replacement windows to ground floor of church building; 8-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows to tenement. Grey slates. Stone skews. Rendered end stacks (corbelled out to centre) to tenement with some octagonal cans. Terracotta ridge to church roof.
Incorporates fragment of Scheduled Ancient Monument, No 3012.
Ecclesiastical building (former Robertson Memorial Mission) no longer in use as such. Inscription reads 'New Greyfriars Mission Buildings. To the glory of God and in loving memory of the Rev. William Robertson DD, for nearly 40 years minister of this Parish. AD 1884.'
Dean of Guild, 4th July 1884. RSA 1888. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1984) pp 227-8.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.