1-6 (INCLUSIVE NOS) UPPER DEAN TERRACE, INCLUDING RAILINGS (Ref:28647)
This building is in the Edinburgh, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 27/10/1965.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NT 24423 74321.
James Milne, 1816-17, with some later additions at attic. Extensive stepped terrace of 2-storey, 3-bay townhouses in plain classical style set on ground falling steeply to NE, with garden ground to front. Sandstone ashlar. Band course and banded cill courses; corniced eaves course. Moulded architraved and corniced doorways. Some later rectangular tile hung dormers, those to Nos. 5 and 6 with triangular pediment.
NW (REAR) ELEVATION: coursed rubble with droved ashlar rybats, lintels and cills. Roughly regular fenestration. Some cast iron balconies at 2nd floor. Some later single storey extensions.
Predominantly 12-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Pitched roof; grey slates. Corniced ashlar ridge stacks with some clay cans. Cast-iron rain-water goods. Cast-iron railings edging basement area recess to street.
INTERIOR: (selection of interiors seen 2010) decorative classical scheme, characterised by intricate plasterwork, large drawing rooms and stone stairs with well-detailed balustrades, topped by large cupolas.
1-6 Upper Dean Terrace is a well detailed terrace occupying a prominent site overlooking the Water of Leith and an important early example of the work of James Milne. The design is well proportioned, with fine architectural detailing such as corniced doorways and is a major example of early 19th century urban classicism in Edinburgh, forming part of the development of the land of Sir Henry Raeburn. The use of street fronting gardens in this design is unusual, echoing Milne's work at both Anne Street and Lynedoch Place (see separate listings). The terrace is an integral part of Edinburgh's New Town, which is an outstanding example of classical urban planning that was influential throughout Britain and Europe.
Henry Raeburn was born in Stockbridge and acquired the house and grounds of Deanhaugh through marriage, before adding adjacent land at St Bernard's. He occupied St Bernard's House until his death in 1823 when it was demolished to accommodate the growing residential development of the estate, making space for the eastern side of Carlton Street. The authorship of James Milne for the whole development is not certain, but the elevations for the principal streets bear the characteristic features of his designs elsewhere, such as Lynedoch place (see separate listing) where the street fronting gardens found on Ann Street are also used.
James Milne was an architect and mason working in Edinburgh between 1809 and 1834 (when he moved to Newcastle). His other works in Edinburgh also include Lynedoch Place and Saxe-Coburg Place (see separate listings). Milne was also the author of The Elements of Architecture only the 1st volume of which was published in Edinburgh in 1812.
(List description updated at re-survey 2012).
Robert Kirkwood, Plan and Elevation of the New Town of Edinburgh (1819). Ordnance Survey, Large Scale Town Plan (1849 ¿ 53). Ordnance Survey, Large Scale Town Plan (1893-4). A Kerr, A History of Ann Street (1982). J Gifford, C McWilliam, D M Walker, The Buildings of Scotland: Edinburgh (1988) p407. A J Youngson, The Making of Classical Edinburgh (1988) pp271-2. H Colvin, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840 (1995) p658. Richard Roger, The Transformation of Edinburgh: Land, Property and Trust in the Nineteenth Century (2004) p248.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.