16-21 (INCLUSIVE NOS) DEAN TERRACE, 2 CARLTON STREET AND 1 DANUBE STREET, INCLUDING (Ref:28645)
This building is in the Edinburgh, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 27/10/1965.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NT 24500 74422.
James Milne, 1824. Extensive terrace of 2-storey and basement townhouses in plain classical style with slightly advanced 3-storey and basement, 5-bay corner tenement pavilions; cast-iron 1st floor balconies and balustraded parapet to 2-storey centre; set on ground falling to NE. Sandstone ashlar, channelled at ground floor, rusticated at ground floor to SW (Danube Street) and NE (Carlton Street) elevations. Entrance platts oversailing basement area recess to street. Banded base course; deep banded cill course at 1st floor; corniced eaves course, corniced cill course at 2nd floor and corniced eaves course with narrow blocking course above to corner pavilions. Inset doorways; timber doors and rectangular fanlights (some with geometric glazing pattern). Plain recessed window surrounds at ground floor; moulded architraved and corniced window at 1st floor with reeded aprons to corner pavilions. N (REAR) ELEVATION: coursed squared rubble with tooled ashlar rybats, lintels and cills. Roughly regular fenestration.Predominantly 12-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows, 6- over 9-pane glazing at 1st floor of recessed section. Double-pitched roof; grey slates. Corniced ashlar wallhead stacks to corner pavilions with large fielded panel; corniced ashlar ridge stacks; some clay cans. Cast-iron rain-water goods. Cast-iron railings edging basement area recess to street incorporating lamp standard with large bowl shade. INTERIOR: (selection of interiors seen 2010) classical decorative scheme, characterised by intricate plasterwork to principal rooms. Stone stairs with well-detailed cast iron balustrade and timber handrail, topped by large cupolas. Working window shutters. Some later conversion to flats.
16-21 Dean Terrace is a prominent and finely detailed terrace occupying an important site overlooking the Water of Leith and marking the entrance into Danube Street and Carlton Streets (see separate listings) with large 3-storey corner blocks. The design is well proportioned, with fine architectural detailing such as corniced 1st floor windows. The design is a major example of early to mid nineteenth century urban classicism in Edinburgh, forming part of the development of the land of Sir Henry Raeburn and designed by prominent architect James Milne. The terrace is an integral part of Edinburgh's New Town, which is an outstanding example of classical urban planning that was influential throughout Britain and Europe.
Henry Raeburn was born in Stockbridge and acquired the house and grounds of Deanhaugh through marriage, before adding adjacent land at St Bernard's. He occupied St Bernard's House until his death in 1823 when it was demolished to accommodate the growing residential development of the estate, making space for the eastern side of Carlton Street. The authorship of James Milne for the whole development is not certain, but the elevations for the principal streets bear the characteristic features of his designs elsewhere, such as Lynedoch place (see separate listing) where the street fronting gardens found on Ann Street are also used.
James Milne was an architect and mason working in Edinburgh between 1809 and 1834 (when he moved to Newcastle). His other works in Edinburgh also include Lynedoch Place and Saxe-Coburg Place (see separate listings). Milne was also the author of The Elements of Architecture only the 1st volume of which was published in Edinburgh in 1812.
(List description updated at re-survey 2012).
Ordnance Survey, Large Scale Town Plan (1849 - 53). Ordnance Survey, Large Scale Town Plan (1893-4). J Gifford, C McWilliam, D M Walker, The Buildings of Scotland: Edinburgh (1988) p407. A J Youngson, The Making of Classical Edinburgh (1988) pp271-2. H Colvin, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840 (1995) p658. Richard Roger, The Transformation of Edinburgh: Land, Property and Trust in the Nineteenth Century (2004) p248.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.