1, 2, 3, RIVERSIDE AND 10,11,12,13,14 AND 15 CRAMOND VILLAGE (Ref:28606)
This building is in the Edinburgh, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 14/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NT 1894 7708.
Circa 1795; recast and converted by Ian Lindsay & Partners, 1959 - 61; basement conversion circa 1994. 3 plain vernacular 2-storey and basement, 3-bay tenements forming terrace. Rectangular-plan; accessed from front and rear; symmetrical disposition of openings. Whitewashed harl; painted surrounds to openings; continuous eaves course; timber rails to 1st floor platforms at front.E (ENTRANCE NOS 10-15) ELEVATION: 3 2-storey, 5-bay blocks with flats at ground and 1st floors. Rubble-coped harled wall to front forming passage boundary. Single boarded timber doors at ground in central bays; flanking single windows in remaining bays to left and right. Timber railed flat platforms from 1st floor setts and drying area to 1st floor entries; single boarded doors; single windows in remaining bays to left and right. Painted surrounds to outer windows, plain surrounds with projecting cills to windows flanking entry.W (ENTRANCE NOS 1-3 RIVERSIDE) ELEVATION: single boarded timber doors at ground in penultimate bays to left and right (Nos 1 and 3); 2-leaf timber door set in central segmental-arch (No 2). Single windows flank entries at ground; regularly fenestrated at 1st and 2nd floors in all bays.12-pane timber sash and case windows to both elevations. Machine-made red pantile roof with grey slate easing course; raised skews. Harled apex stacks to N and S; ridge-stacks disposed equally between properties; precast concrete coping; circular cans.INTERIORS: not seen 1996.
Cramond A Group. Part of an industrial community built for workers in the mills on the River Almond, Nos 6 - 15 played a key role in the Cramond restoration project carried out by Ian Lindsay & Partners between 1959 and 1961 (commissioned by Edinburgh Corporation). As can be seen at Newhaven (a scheme executed by Lindsay & Partners a decade later), the precedents set here were highly influential. Note the whitewashed harl, machine-made red pantiles and timber sash and case windows - features common to both projects. Despite an element of standardisation and complete internal conversion, the vernacular of the Scottish fishing/industrial village has been retained and the original character preserved (compare with Cross Wynd, Falkland or St. Monance, Fife - both of which were recorded by Lindsay). His work at Cramond is acknowledged as an early and relatively successful attempt to restore the architectural core of a village in decline. Previously listed as Nos 6, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15 Cramond Village. Nos 1, 2 and 3 recently created following conversion.
Does not appear on a sketch used for the cover of J Wood's 1st edition, 1794; appears on Wood's map, 1826; Ordnance Survey maps, 1895 and 1947; J Grant, OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH (1882) vol III, p314-320; E J MacRae, THE HERITAGE OF GREATER EDINBURGH (1947) p11 and sheet III; Gifford, McWilliam and Walker, EDINBURGH (1984) p553; CRAMOND HERITAGE PARK: POLICY REPORT (1985) City of Edinburgh District Council; M Cant, VILLAGES OF EDINBURGH (1986); C McKean, EDINBURGH: AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE (1993) p162; C Pittaway, 'A NATIONAL AWAKENING': ARCHITECTURAL PRESERVATION IN NORTH EAST FIFE 1919 - 1939, St Andrews Studies in the History of Scottish Architecture and Design (1993) p39; J P Wood, THE ANTIENT AND MODERN STATE OF THE PARISH OF CRAMOND (reprinted 1994) p11; various press cuttings and photographs, Edinburgh Room, Central Library; NMRS photographs ED/15006, B 38696, ED/7560, ED/15004; City Archives, various plans, Ian Lindsay & Partners, 1959; painting attributed to John Clerk of Eldin depicts Cramond Village prior to restoration (NMRS).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.