1-11 (INCLUSIVE NUMBERS) COATES CRESCENT, 2 STAFFORD STREET, 1 WALKER STREET, INCLUDING RAILINGS (Ref:28563)
This building is in the Edinburgh, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 14/12/1970.
Group Items: (see Notes),
Group Cat: A,
Map Ref: NT .
Robert Brown, circa 1812-23. 37-bay terrace 2-and 3-storey over basements with attics, comprising unified 3-bay classical townhouse facade; central and terminal pavilions with main-door and common stair flats behind. Basement area to street including some vaulted cellars and retaining walls. Sandstone ashlar, droved at basement, channelled at ground floor. Entrance platts oversailing basement. Band course at 1st and 2nd floors. Moulded cill course at 2nd floor and plain cornice to attic. Various dormer styles and later additions at attic. Intricate wrought-iron balconies on foliate brackets at 1st floor. S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATIONS: CENTRAL PAVILION: 3 storeys, 9 bays, (advanced 3 bays to centre). Round arched recessed panelled window surrounds to centre section at ground floor. Architraved, corniced and bracketed windows to outer and central bays at 1st floor. Stepped parapet to centre with bas relief panel. Later additional storey added to No. 7, slate hung with canted bay. BLOCKS FLANKING CENTRAL PAVILION: round arched doorpieces with narrow sidelights and fanlights (some with radial glazing). Later ashlar attic storey to No. 3. TERMINAL PAVILIONS: W pavilion: 5-bay, 3-storey block with advanced end bays and stepped parapet. Central doorway and narrow sidelights to ground floor, entrance platt oversailing basement. Recessed round arched panelled window surrounds to end bays. Architraved corniced and bracketed openings at 1st floor flanking bays, additional small scrolled brackets. Single bay return to E (right) with blind balustrade between ground and 1st floors. Return to Walker Street similar to S elevation with addition of radial fanlight to principal doorway. E pavilion: Similar to that to W. Single bay return to W with addition of simple balcony to 3rd floor. Predominantly 12-pane and 6- over 9-pane in timber sash and case windows with some later plate glass in timber sash and case. 4-panel timber doors. Double pitch M-section roof; grey slates. Corniced ashlar stacks forming part parapet to wallhead, ashlar ridge stacks. Delicate wrought-iron balconies on foliate brackets at 1st floor. Railings at street level edging basement recess with spear head finials. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
A Group with 12 -22 Coates Crescent (see separate listing). A well-detailed classical crescent which forms a focal point within the planning of the Western New Town and the entrance to the former Walker Estate. Fine details such as the delicate cast-iron balconies have been retained, as has the subtle curve of the crescent with later alterations not affecting the building line. The grouping of the suite of classical terraces, including Atholl Crescent is strengthened by its completeness. Coates Crescent was one of the first parts of the former Walker Estate to be built, and is a key terrace within the wider planning of Edinburgh's New Town. Its treatment as a cohesive block is reminiscent of Robert Reid in the northern New Town, of whom Robert Brown was a pupil.
Coates Crescent was owned by Sir Patrick Walker and he developed it as part of a plan by Architect Robert Brown for the whole of the Walker estate (including Melville Street, Walker Street). Coates Crescent forms an addition to the original plan of 1808 which was relatively modest in scale until 1813. Coates Crescent was one of the earliest parts of the plan to be built, and construction was well underway by 1819. The plots were tightly controlled and this was instrumental in the achievement of the design. It is not known whether Brown designed the elevations himself or was merely responsible for the plan. Some documentary evidence seems to suggest that Tait (architect of the nearby Shandwick Place) also worked here.
Robert Brown was an experienced architect, and by the time he was involved with the deigns for the Walker Estate he had already designed several other urban schemes, including between 1810 and 1830 laying out streets in Portobello on land belonging to the Marques of Abercorn. His other notable works include Newington and St. Leonard's church (now The Queen's Hall) and the rearrangement of the interiors for Yester House on behalf of the Marques of Tweeddale. Robert Brown worked on a number of smaller projects in the New Town but the cohesive planning of the Walker estate is amongst one of the best examples of his work. He was especially competent in the design of corner pavilions and parades of shops, as can be seen in his work at North West Circus Place (see separate listing).
(List description revised 2009 as part of re-survey)
James Knox, Map of the Shire of Edinburgh, (1812); Ordnance Survey, Large Scale Town Plan, (1849-53); J Gifford, C McWilliam, D M Walker, The Buildings of Scotland: Edinburgh (1988) p. 380; Youngson, The Making of Classical Edinburgh, (1988) p. 215; West End Community Trust, Edinburgh's West End, A Short History, (1984).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.