1-22 (INCLUSIVE NOS) CLARENDON CRESCENT AND 1, 1A OXFORD TERRACE, INCLUDING RAILINGS (Ref:28544)
This building is in the Edinburgh Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/06/1965.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NT 2427 7412.
John Tait, 1850-53 with some later alterations at attic. Concave stepped crescent of predominantly 3-storey, basement and attic, 2-bay townhouses in Italianate classical style, flanked by advanced 5-bay tenement pavilions; alternating recessed and advanced bays (arranged 5-10-5-9-9-9-5-10-5); on ground falling away to N. Sandstone ashlar. Entrance platts oversailing basement area recess to street. Banded base course; banded cill course at 1st floor; moulded cill course at 2nd floor; corniced and dentilled eaves course; balustraded parapet to some sections. Geometric cast-iron balconies at 1st floor on large foliate brackets. Moulded architraved openings, lugged architrave and apron panel to ground floor windows; segmental pediments to 1st floor windows of advanced bays; alternating corniced and pedimented windows to recessed bays; deep bracketed cills to 3rd floor windows. Predominantly timber 2-leaf, 6-panel doors and rectangular fanlights.
NW (OXFORD TERRACE) ELEVATION: 5 bays with 3-bay ashlar attic storey to centre. Triangular pediments to 1st floor windows, corniced to flanking bays. Balustrade flanking central attic storey.
SE (ETON TERRACE) ELEVATION: 3-bay. Entrance porch with raised channelled quoins; narrow window openings to returns; later greenhouse at 1st floor. Segmental pediments to 1st floor windows. Single storey, 3-bay screen wall to right: banded base course; corniced parapet; channelled piers dividing bays; round arched openings, that to left now glazed.
NE (REAR) ELEVATION: coursed squared rubble with some droved ashlar quoins, rybats, cills and lintels. Roughly regular fenestration. Some full-height 3-light canted bays. Original single-bay single-storey outbuilding to rear of No. 10. Some later single storey extensions.
Predominantly 8-pane glazing pattern plate glass in timber sash and case windows. Predominantly double-pitched roof; grey slates. Corniced ashlar ridge stacks with octagonal clay cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Cast-iron railings edging basement area recess to street.
INTERIOR: (selection of interiors seen 2010) classical decorative scheme, characterised by intricate plasterwork and large drawing rooms. Large entrance vestibules with cornicing, stone stairs with well-detailed cast iron balustrade and timber handrail, topped by large cupolas with decorative plasterwork beneath. Decorative plasterwork to principal rooms. Working window shutters. Some later conversion to flats.
Well-proportioned crescent of townhouses with fine architectural detailing such as pedimented 1st floor windows. The terrace is sited prominently and lines one of the key routes into Edinburgh¿s New Town, making a significant contribution to streetscape. The terrace is part of the early development of the West End of Edinburgh in the mid 19th century after the completion of the nearby Dean Bridge (see separate listing). The design is a major example of the mid 19th century treatment of urban classical architecture with restrained astylar Italianate detailing. The terrace is an integral part of Edinburgh's New Town, which is an outstanding example of classical urban planning that was influential throughout Britain and Europe.
The terrace is the earliest phase of the long delayed residential expansion of the city in the late 19th century to the north of the Dean Bridge, following its completion in 1831-2. The bridge had been part funded by John Learmonth, Lord Provost of Edinburgh, who wanted to improve access to his land to the west of the Water of Leith to allow for further residential development. The delayed development of the area around Clarendon Crescent, Oxford Terrace and Eton Terrace forced Learmonth to sell the feus to the Heriot Trust.
John Tait designed Clarendon Crescent, Eton Terrace and Oxford Terrace on behalf of Learmonth, and his designs were retained following the transfer of the feus to the Heriot Trust. Tait was experienced in designing residential urban and suburban schemes having supervised Rutland Square (see separate listings) and worked on the feuing plan for Inverleith Terrace (see separate listings). Little is known about his architectural training, but his designs are marked by a refined use of restrained classicism. This contrasts with the bolder classical style of the mid to later nineteenth century, which was developed in other parts of the Learmonth estate, notably at Buckingham Terrace and Learmonth terrace (see separate listings), both of which followed the development of Clarendon Crescent in the late 1850s and early 1860s.
(List description updated at resurvey 2012).
Ordnance Survey, Large Scale Town Plan (1849 ¿ 53). Ordnance Survey, Large Scale Town Plan (1893-4). J Gifford, C McWilliam, D M Walker, The Buildings of Scotland: Edinburgh (1988) p399. A J Youngson, The Making of Classical Edinburgh (1988) pp271-2. Richard Roger, The Transformation of Edinburgh: Land, Property and Trust in the Nineteenth Century (2004) p248. www.scottisharchitects.org.uk (accessed 20.01.10).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.