4-11A (INCLUSIVE NOS) BELLEVUE TERRACE (Ref:28292)
This building is in the Edinburgh Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 25/11/1965.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NT 2559 7490.
Designed by Thomas Bonnar (see Notes), 1834-1856. 3-storey, 23-bay, astylar terraced tenement. Sandstone ashlar with channelled masonry at ground. Base course, cill bands and architraved windows at 1st and 2nd floors, decorative iron window guards/balconies at 1st floor windows, frieze course, corniced eaves, balustraded parapet with dies.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: timber panelled doors (some replacement) with large rectangular fanlights (multi-pane fanlight to No 4) to bays 1, 4, 7, 10, 13, 16, 21 and 23, windows to remaining bays, regular fenestration above (smaller 2nd floor windows).
Timber sash and case windows with variety of glazing patterns, including notable percentage of lying-pane, stacks with terracotta cans, cast-iron railings with spear-head finials.
INTERIOR: not seen 1998.
Designed by Bonnar just before he died, built mainly under control of Alexander Black. The gable at No 11 shows that further building was intended (it would have turned NE into a large crescent facing NW), but at least enough was finished to appear complete from Bellevue Crescent. After Black's death Bonnar's ambitious scheme was given up. Their successor John Chesser designed the simple 2-storey U-plan terrace of houses on the SE side of East Claremont Street (Nos2-24) and in Bellevue Place. Most of the latter were not built until the 1890's. The rest of the area was partly developed with 4-storey tenements from the 1870's and then filled up with a motley sprinkling of 2-storey suburban houses.
Heriot Trust. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker, EDINBURGH, (1988), p422.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.