1-13 (INCLUSIVE NOS) ATHOLL PLACE AND 1 TORPHICHEN STREET, INCLUDING RAILINGS (Ref:28261)
This building is in the Edinburgh Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 14/12/1970.
Group Items: see notes,
Group Cat: A,
Map Ref: NT 2432 7339.
Thomas Bonnar, 1824-1831. 3-storey over basement with 4-storey over basement 31-bay, palace block tenement with 7-bay curved terminal pavilion to SW end, joining 4-bay group, (number 1 Torphichen Street) to S. Droved sandstone ashlar at basement; polished sandstone ashlar with polished dressings above, (painted at ground floor to various numbers). Band course between basement and ground floors, and between ground and 1st floors; cill course to 2nd floor; string course above 2nd floor windows; cornice at 2nd floor, with blocking course to central section; cornice and blocking course to 3rd floor terminal pavilions and to Torphichen Street elevation. Architraves to openings at ground and 1st floors (except corner pavilion at ground floor); panelled aprons to ground floor windows; bays to corner block divided at 1st and 2nd floors by giant anta pilasters. Ashlar steps and entrance platts oversailing basement.
NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical 9-bay pavilion to NE with 3-bay return to left on Atholl Crescent Lane; symmetrical 18-bay central section; consoled cornices to doorways to ground floor, with recessed, panelled timber doors surmounted by fanlights; regular 2-1-1-2 fenestration pattern to ground floor; windows to each bay 1st and 2nd floors and to 3rd floor terminal pavilion; mansard roof with 2-pane dormers set back from wallhead to central pavilion. 4-bay corner pavilion to SW, advanced bay to outer right, framed by anta pilasters to upper floors; consoled cornice to doorway to ground floor of penultimate bay to right, regular fenestration to remaining bays to ground and upper floors.
SW (CORNER) ELEVATION: recessed timber door to principal floor, flanked on left by glass panel at No 11; windows to flanking bays; 4-panelled timber door with fanlight to principal floor at No 12, framed by corniced pilastered doorpiece surmounted by decorative iron balustrade; panelled timber door with fanlight to principal floor at No 13; windows to flanking bays; regular fenestration to all bays of upper floors.
S (TORPHICHEN STREET) ELEVATION: advanced bay at left adjoining corner with Atholl Place, framed by giant anta pilasters to upper floors; consoled cornice to doorway to principal floor of penultimate bay to left, recessed panelled timber door with fanlight; regular fenestration to all floors above.
SE ELEVATION: not seen 2000.
2, 4, 12 and 16-pane glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows, modern single pane windows to ground floor of corner pavilion. Grey slate roof. Coped and chamfered polished sandstone ashlar stacks with moulded cylindrical cans to NW elevation, coped rendered stacks with circular cans to corner pavilion and Torphichen Street. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Iron railings to street and bordering platts to doorways, majority with fleur-de-lys heads.
INTERIORS: not seen 2000.
Part of the Edinburgh New Town A-Group, a significant surviving part of one of the most important and best preserved examples of urban planning in Britain.
PLAN OF THE CITY OF EDINBURGH, INCLUDING ALL THE LATEST AND INTENDED IMPROVEMENTS, circa 1827; 1853 and 1877 OS MAPS; J Grant, CASSELL'S OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH, Vol 2, p209; J Gifford, C McWilliam and D Walker, EDINBURGH (Buildings of Scotland series), (1984), p370.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.