15-41 (ODD NOS) ANN STREET, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL, RAILINGS AND LAMP STANDARDS (Ref:28242)
This building is in the Edinburgh, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 25/02/1965.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NT 24312 74381.
Probably James Milne, 1816-29, with some later additions to attic. Extensive symmetrical terrace of 2-storey, 3-bay and basement classical townhouses with slightly advanced pedimented and pilastered 3-storey 6-bay centre, flanked by tall 2-storey, 3-bay townhouses; prominent gardens fronting street. Sandstone ashlar, coursed squared rubble with ashlar rybats at basement; rusticated ashlar at ground floor of 3-storey block. Entrance platts oversailing basement area recess to garden. Banded base course and narrow banded cill course at ground floor; deep banded cill course at 1st floor incorporating fluted aprons to 1st floor windows; corniced eaves course. Moulded architraved, bracketed and corniced doorways; rectangular fanlights with geometric glazing pattern. Later full-height 3-light canted bay to No.35 with piend roofed rectangular dormer above. Some later rectangular tile hung dormers at attic. NOS 25-31 (CENTRE SECTION): pedimented 3-storey, 6-bay centre flanked by slightly recessed tall 2-storey, 3-bay townhouses. Ionic heptastyle pilasters spanning 1st and 2nd floors, interrupting narrow banded cill course at second floor. Banded eaves course with triangular pediment above; blind oculus to centre and plain block finial to apex. Paired porches to centre with paired fluted Greek Doric columns, cornice and blocking course. Moulded architraved 1st floor windows to flanking townhouses.SW (REAR) ELEVATION: some coursed squared rubble, some random rubble, with droved ashlar rybats, lintels and cills. Later boxed dormer to No. 27.12-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows; 6- over 9-pane timber sash and case windows at 1st floor of 3-storey block. Pitched roof with some piended gables; grey slates. Corniced ashlar ridge stacks with some clay cans. Cast-iron rain-water goods. Low broached ashlar wall with droved copes and gate rybats edging gardens to street, topped with cast-iron railings incorporating decorative cast-iron lamp standards with large perpex bowl shades.INTERIOR: (selection of interiors seen 2010) decorative classical scheme, characterised by intricate plasterwork and large drawing rooms. Stone stairs with well-detailed cast iron balustrade and timber handrail, topped by large cupolas with decorative plasterwork beneath. Large ground and 1st floor drawing rooms to front with decorative cornicing, some ceiling roses, some marble fireplaces. Corniced throughout, less elaborate to upper floors and basement. Working window shutters.
15-41 Ann Street an outstanding example of early 19th century urban planning with a classically designed scheme by prominent architect James Milne. The design is well proportioned, with simple classical detailing including the use of Greek sources for the prominent centrepiece with Greek Doric columns and Ionic pilasters. Some interiors are little altered, retaining their well-detailed decorative classical scheme. The terrace was designed as a key part of the development of the land of Sir Henry Raeburn and the design exploits a prominent site at the top of the steep slope up from Stockbridge. The terrace is an integral part of Edinburgh's New Town, which is an outstanding example of classical urban planning that was influential throughout Britain and Europe. Although Milne is not named as the architect in the sasines for Ann Street, but he is known to have been working elsewhere on the Raeburn estate at Upper Dean Terrace (see separate listing), and was the first resident of 17 Ann Street. The use of street fronting gardens in this design is early and unusual, echoing Milne's work at both Upper Dean Terrace and Lynedoch Place (see separate listings).
Henry Raeburn was born in Stockbridge and acquired the house and grounds of Deanhaugh through marriage, before adding adjacent land at St Bernard's. He occupied St Bernard's House until his death in 1823 when it was demolished to accommodate the growing residential development of the estate, making space for the eastern side of Carlton Street. The authorship of James Milne for the whole development is not certain, but the elevations for the principal streets bear the characteristic features of his designs elsewhere, such as Lynedoch Place (see separate listing) where the street fronting gardens found on Ann Street are also used. The design of Ann Street was originally intended to be replicated elsewhere in Raeburn's development, with three similar parallel streets, but this plan was later revised to the current layout sometime after 1814.
James Milne was an architect and mason working in Edinburgh between 1809 and 1834 (when he moved to Newcastle). His other works in Edinburgh also include Lynedoch Place and Saxe-Coburg Place (see separate listings). Milne was also the author of The Elements of Architecture only the 1st volume of which was published in Edinburgh in 1812.
(List description updated at re-survey 2012).
Robert Kirkwood, Plan and Elevation of the New Town of Edinburgh (1819). Ordnance Survey, Large Scale Town Plan (1849 ¿ 53). Ordnance Survey, Large Scale Town Plan (1893-4). A Kerr A History of Ann Street (1982). J Gifford, C McWilliam, D M Walker, The Buildings of Scotland: Edinburgh (1988) p405. A J Youngson, The Making of Classical Edinburgh (1988) pp271-2. Richard Roger, The Transformation of Edinburgh: Land, Property and Trust in the Nineteenth Century (2004) p248.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.