1, 3 ALVA STREET, 12,13,14 QUEENSFERRY STREET INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS TO REAR (Ref:28235)
This building is in the Edinburgh Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 14/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NT 2455 7372.
J Gillespie Graham, designed 1823; executed by Robert Hutchinson. 4-storey, 10-bay classical tenement and shops on prominent corner; curved and recessed single bay to corner; basement area to street including some vaulted cellars and retaining walls to Alva Street. Sandstone ashlar, channelled at ground floor, droved at basement. Banded cill course at 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors. Corniced eaves course. Architraved and corniced openings to 1st and 2nd floors. Advanced timber and plate glass shop front to No. 14 Queensferry Street set over basement, in channelled ashlar to Alva Street. Round arched doorway surrounds to Alva Street, some with radial glazing, some blind windows. Cast-iron bowed anthemion balconies at 1st floor.
REAR ELEVATION: regular squared coursed rubble with tooled ashlar rybats and lintels to openings. Regular fenestration. Various later additions to attic. Some boundary walls retained with mews buildings to Queensferry Street lane. Various later alterations to convert to car parking, various later steel garage doors inserted.
Plate glass in timber frames to ground floor shop fronts. 12-and 15-pane in timber sash and case windows above. Grey slates. Corniced ashlar wallhead stacks; modern clay cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
Well-detailed tenement design by James Gillespie Graham. This end block turns the corner into Queensferry Street and is prominently situated at the edge of the former Walker Estate. The plain but well-executed finish and the inclusion of a 4th storey allows the tenement to assert itself over the surrounding streetscape, which is predominantly 2-and 3-storey. The anthemion balconies are a particularly good survival and echo the simple neo Greek interiors which originally featured.
James Gillespie Graham was best known for designing country houses and churches in the Gothic style, and his work was predominantly on Gothic churches and castellated country houses. He produced relatively little classical work, but in addition to Gray's House in Elgin (see separate listing) his most notable work was the Moray Estate. The monumental style of the architecture, in which he was influenced by Adam's Charlotte Square (see separate listing) can also be seen in Alva Street which takes the form of end pavilions flanking a central run of terraced townhouses.
(List description revised 2009 as part of re-survey.)
Ordnance Survey, Large Scale Town Plan, (1849-53); John Wood, Plan of the City of Edinburgh, including all the latest and intended improvements (1823); J Gifford, C McWilliam, D M Walker, The Buildings of Scotland: Edinburgh (1988) p. 369; Howard Colvin, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600 -1840, (1995).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.