BELFORD ROAD, FORMER BELL'S MILLS GRANARY (Ref:28149)
This building is in the Edinburgh, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/06/1965.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NT 23772 73694.
Dated 1807, converted to hotel accommodation 2009 by the Burrell Company Ltd. 3-storey and attic, 7-bay shallow rectangular-plan former granary, set on ground next to the Water of Leith. Slightly advanced wide bay to centre with triangular pediment and decorative carved roundel panel. Coursed random rubble with some droved ashlar quoins, cills lintels and rybats. 4 piended roofed rectangular timber dormers to attic with slate hung cheeks.
Predominantly small pane timber sash and case windows. Pitched roof; grey slates, sandstone skews. Coped gablehead stacks; clay cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
Bell¿s Granary is well proportioned with plain classical detailing. The granary is prominently sited on the Water of Leith, and forms a landmark from the Water of Leith Walkway. Bell¿s Granary is the only remaining building which formed part of the former Bell¿s Mills. The other buildings were destroyed by an explosion on the site in 1975. The mill occupied a site on the Water of Leith near the Dean Village and in an area occupied by mills since the 1573. The granary is one of few surviving examples in the Dean area of its former industrial heritage, particularly based on grain milling, many of which utilised power provided by the Water of Leith. The mills were originally owned by the City of Edinburgh before being sold to the Baxter¿s Incorporation in 1734-5. The Incorporation rebuilt a number of the mills in the area, including Bell¿s Mills in 1807. Their symbol of a wheatsheaf is included, along with the date, in a carved roundel panel to the N elevation.
The granary was converted to hotel accommodation in 2009.
List description revised as part of resurvey (2009).
Ordnance Survey, Large Scale Town Plan (1849 - 53); D M Walker, The Buildings of Scotland: Edinburgh (1988) p. 395
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.