2 DOVECOT ROAD, DOVECOT INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES (Ref:28135)
This building is in the Edinburgh, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 14/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NT 2004 7251.
Late 16th century. 3-stage, circular plan, beehive dovecot. Sandstone rubble; coarse sandstone dressings. Dividing band (rat) courses; projecting stone eaves.
S ELEVATION: 3-tier flight holes in arch above 2nd stage dividing band course.
N ELEVATION: low entrance doorway; iron grille door; stone lintel; long and short surrounds.
Shallow conical stone slabbed roof.
INTERIOR: stone nesting boxes; potence stone, with socket for pole at centre of stone slabbed floor.
BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES: coped, coursed rubble boundary walls; circular plan coped dome gatepiers to left; iron gates; pedestrian entrance to right; single iron gate.
Edinburgh Tapestry Studio lies to the rear of the dovecot (see separate list description). The dovecot is the only remaining structure from the Corstorphine Castle estate, home of the Forresters of Corstorphine. The dovecot contains 1060 nesting boxes and its walls are 3 feet 10 inches thick.
U Selway A MID LOTHIAN VILLAGE (1890), p8; A Niven Robertson "Old Dovecots in and around Edinburgh" in BOOK OF THE OLD EDINBURGH CLUB, Vol XXV (1945), p178; E MacRae HERITAGE OF GREATER EDINBURGH (1947), p36; THE BUILDER, 20/06/1952, p911; M Cant VILLAGES OF EDINBURGH Vol I (1986), p5; T Buxbaum SCOTTISH DOOCOTS (1987) p31; W Dey A PICTORIAL HISTORY OF A MIDLOTHIAN VILLAGE (1990), p16; AS Cowper HISTORIC CORSTORPHINE AND ROUNDABOUT Vol 3 (1991) p5; Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1991), p528; C McKean EDINBURGH (1992), p172.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.