RAVELSTON DYKES ROAD, RAVELSTON TOWER (OLD RAVELSTON HOUSE) (Ref:28113)
This building is in the Edinburgh, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 14/07/1966.
Group Items: see notes,
Group Cat: A,
Map Ref: NT 2167 7395.
Dated 1622; remains of 17th century tower house. Squared and snecked rubble.
S ELEVATION: single window at gablehead; single window below
W ELEVATION: blind wall.
N ELEVATION: narrow light in gablehead; another below.
E ELEVATION: single window half-way up with iron railing.
Crowstepped skews; grey slate roof.
A-Group with Mary Erskine School (Ravelston House), Dovecot, Entrance Gateway and Boundary Walls, Garden Walls of No 37 and No 87, Queensferry Road Entrance Gate, ice-houses and 31 & 33 Ravelston Dykes Road. The old tower house at Ravelston was erected by George Foulis, who purchased the estate in 1620. This is all that remains of the original Z-plan house, which was destroyed by fire in the late 18th century, and is the old staircase tower. Above the entrance door is the inscription NE QUID NIMIS with the initials GF and IB (George Foulis and Janet Bannatyne), and the date 1622. George Foulis was a bailie of the city of Edinburgh and Master of the King's Mint.
MacGibbon and Ross CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTLAND VOL IV (1892) pp8-13; Rev. A Hallen THE ACCOUNT BOOK OF SIR JOHN FOULIS OF RAVELSTON 1671-1707 (1894) PXVI; Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH - THE BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND (1984) pp530-1; J Wallace HISTORIC HOUSES OF EDINBURGH (1987) p218-219.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.