95 RAVELSTON DYKES ROAD, THE MARY ERSKINE SCHOOL (FORMERLY RAVELSTON HOUSE) (Ref:28110)
This building is in the Edinburgh, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 14/07/1966.
Group Items: see notes,
Group Cat: A,
Map Ref: NT 2177 7402.
Circa 1790; late 19th century alterations. 3-storey, 7-bay main block; 4-storey central entrance octagonal tower (N) / bow (S); 3-storey, 4-bay extension to W; E pavilion; W wing. Polished sandstone ashlar. Band course at 1st and 2nd floors.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 3-bay, 3-storey central octagonal tower; vermiculated rusticated ground floor; perron stair to 1st floor; arcaded 1st floor with Ionic columns; central door; flanking single windows; blind balustrade above; single window to each face at 2nd and 3rd floors. 2 bays, 2-storeys flanking to E; regular fenestration; 4-bay blind arcade leading to projecting, 1 1/2 storey former pavilion; central open arch and flanking windows to pavilion. 6-bay, 2-storeys flanking tower to W; regular fenestration; 4-bay arcading to basement of later extension. Projecting 1 1/2 storey, 3-bay W wing; projecting centre bay; recessed arch; Serlian window; flanking bipartite lights and single lights above; single windows at each storey to E return; garage door to W return.
E ELEVATION: 3-bay, 3-storey gable-end; central door at ground; central wall head with fire-escape and stair. 5-bay Doric colonnade to rear of pavilion link; doors in outer bays; modern infill.
S ELEVATION: 3-bay, 3-storey central bow tower; single windows to ground; perron stair and cast-iron balcony to principal floor; carved shell fountain to front of perron stair architraves to windows at 1st floor; single windows to each bay at 2nd and 3rd floors; open balustrade above. Elliptical arched recesses with tripartite lights at 1st floor flanking bow; single windows above and below. 5-bay section to W; 5-bay Doric colonnade at ground floor; single windows in 2nd and 4th bays at 1st floor; single windows in 1st, 3rd and 5th bays at 2nd floor. Projecting 1 1/2 storey, 3-bay W wing; projecting centre bay; recessed arch; Serlian window; flanking bipartite lights and single lights above; single windows at each storey to E return; 2 windows and door to W return.
W ELEVATION: U-plan courtyard; wings at N and S; round gatepiers with timber gate; 1 1/2 storey U-plan range; 5-bay central range with regular fenestration; single bay returns. Single window to off centre at 3rd floor of main house; attic dormer window above.
Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Slate roof; wallhead stacks to E and W gable ends; stacks along roof.
INTERIOR: Adamesque decoration; re-decorated 1915-16. Octagonal yellow Entrance Hall at ground floor; pilastered arched doorways at SE and SW; classical fireplace on S wall with sacrificial relief to centre of mantel; classical medallions on walls. Green Room (Head's Office) to rear of hall in S bow; classical cornice with trigylphs, floral medallions, dentils and beading, some details gilded; cornice of door architrave decorated with trigylphs and urn motif; roccco sunburst at light hanging; decorative chimneypiece with urn and griffins in central section. Pink Music Room at ground floor to E; full length of house; floral medallions on cornice; egg and dart above; sunbursts at light hangings; Ionic pilasters on walls; egg and dart architrave frames on walls; vine relief in one frame; decorative chimneypiece with floral garlands. Spearmint ground floor room at W facing S (former Dining Room); decorative cornice; urn motifs to door cornices; paired Ionic columns and pilasters towards W end; fireplace with attached Ionic columns, triglyph frieze and rustic sacrificial scene in centre. Beige stairwell at W facing N; cornice of trigylph and floral medallion; open-well with timber banister.
A-Group with Ravelston Tower, Dovecot, Entrance Gateway and Boundary Walls, Garden Walls of No 37 and No 87, Queensferry Road Entrance Gate, ice-houses and 31 & 33 Ravelston Dykes Road. The old tower house at Ravelston was erected by George Foulis, who purchased the estate in 1620. The new mansion house was probably built by Alexander Keith in the late 18th century; he died in 1792. The site chosen for the new house was one that offered splendid views over Edinburgh, Corstorphine Hill and the Pentlands. The new house has a marked similarity to Robert Adam's design at Bellevue, which was built for General Scott. The interior of the house was re-done in 1915-16 by Mrs Norah Clark but the work retained the Adamesque style of the original. The new school buildings (not included in the listing) were built in 1964-7 and were designed by William H Kininmouth. This scheme was built especially for the Mary Erskine School, which moved from its Queen Street property to Ravelston House in 1967. Mary Erskine was a female merchant burgess, who lived in Edinburgh during the 17th century. In 1694 she gave a 10,000 merks to the town for the education of daughters of merchant burgesses and this was the foundation of the Mary Erskine School.
Rev. A Hallen THE ACCOUNT BOOK OF SIR JOHN FOULIS OF RAVELSTON 1671-1707 (1894) PXVI; J Gifford, C McWilliam, D Walker EDINBURGH - THE BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND (1984) pp530-1; I Gow NOTES FOR A VISIT BY THE OLD EDINBURGH CLUB MAY 24TH 1984 (NMRS D8.41 RAV (P)); J Wallace HISTORIC HOUSES OF EDINBURGH (1987) p218-219.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.