66 MURRAYFIELD AVENUE AND SUCCOTH AVENUE, MURRAYFIELD HOUSE, INCLUDING WING (Ref:28100)
This building is in the Edinburgh, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 14/07/1966.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NT 2264 7358.
MAIN BLOCK:Circa 1735. 3-storey, 5-bay, rectangular-plan classical main block. Harled with painted margins and strip quoins. Segmental pediment to doorway; raised triangular pediment breaking eaves above Venetian window to centre of front elevation; urns to apex and, on pedestals with flanking volutes, to sides; skews.SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 2-leaf panelled timber door with multi-paned fanlight to centre at ground; single window to floor above; Venetian window to 2nd floor above, with keystoned, round-arched central light and boarded flanking lights; windows to all flanking bays, all floors, tallest windows at ground, shortest at 2nd floor.12-pane timber sash and case glazing. Grey slate roof; coped gablehead stacks with moulded cylindrical cans.WING AT NE:Circa 1780. 2-storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan, symmetrical wing at NE. Snecked and coursed sandstone rubble to front elevation; harling to sides. Stone margins, cill course to 1st floor, strip quoins; cornice and blocking course.Round-arched windows with infilled heads to bays at ground (central window entirely blocked); large window to each bay at 1st floor; blocked Venetian window at 1st floor, NE side elevation.12-pane timber sash and case glazing. Grey slate piended roof with lead flashing.INTERIOR: sensitively renovated, with retention of original fireplaces including pedimented overmantels. Other original features remain, notably cornices and doorframes throughout, as well as individual features such as panelled cupboard in front ground floor room at SW. 2-storey glazed corridor to rear at SW links to modern nursing-home buildings which form square courtyard by re-joining NE wing from rear.
The Murrayfield Estate was originally called Nisbet Park but after its purchase by Archibald Murray, in 1734, it was renamed Murrayfield. Murrayfield House was built by the new owner and it is probable that his architect was John Douglas; the house has motifs that were characteristic of Douglas' oeuvre, including an emphatic Serlian window and oversized urns. In 1773, Alexander Murray (later Lord Henderland) inherited the estate from his father and proceeded to make alterations, which included the addition of the east wing. It is likely that he had also intended to build a symmetrical wing to the west, but this never materialised. Campbell Avenue, to the W of Murrayfield House, is on the site of an original tree avenue that belonged to the Murrayfield estate; Campbell Avenue is lined with trees to the site and these may have been part of the original avenue. Similarly, Succoth Avenue, to the N, is also on the site of an older avenue. Unfortunately, an avenue of trees no longer survives there.
1st Edition OS Map, 1856; 2nd Edition OS Map, 1896; RCAHMS: CITY OF EDINBURGH, pp 227-8; (HMSO, 1951); J Gifford, C McWilliam and D Walker, EDINBURGH (Buildings of Scotland series), (1984), p630; J Wallace HISTORIC HOUSES OF EDINBURGH (1987) p215-216; I Gow JOHN DOUGLAS: WILLIAM ADAM'S RIVAL? exhibition catalogue (1989) p7.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.