Historic Scotland Data Website
Results New Search

CRAIG HOUSE (OLD) OFF CRAIGHOUSE ROAD, NAPIER UNIVERSITY (Ref:28046)

This building is in the Edinburgh, City Of Council and the Edinburgh Burgh. It is a category A building and was listed on 14/12/1970.

Group Items: N/A, Group Cat: N/A, Map Ref: N/A.

Description

Original house dated LCSP 1565, 3-storey and attic rubble- built, 72' x 25' 8" with square tower near W end of N front; main gables have 18th century club skew, tower has original crowsteps. Ground floor vaulted. NW wing dated 1746 added to re-entrant angle of tower (forming L-plan) 3-storey 4-window to E, 2 crowstepped chimney gables and large S crowstepped gable to W. Harled with margins. Minor alterations at early 19th century restoration, more extensive alterations late in century (Sydney Mitchell) for hospital purposes; some further alterations since. Poor modern wooden verandah encloses original doorways. Original gatepiers built into garden wall.

Notes

Built by the Symsounes of Craighouse; belonged to the Dicks from at least 1685. In the 19th century it was the residence of John Hill Burton, historian

References

Inv 224 (Midlothian); MacRae Her 32 C & D Arch v IV p.102

© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: hs.listing@scotland.gsi.gov.uk. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.

Results New Search

Buildings are assigned to one of three categories according to their relative importance. All listed buildings receive equal legal protection, and protection applies equally to the interior and exterior of all listed buildings regardless of category.

ACategory A

Buildings of national or international importance, either architectural or historic, or fine little-altered examples of some particular period, style or building type. (Approximately 8% of the total).

BCategory B

Buildings of regional or more than local importance, or major examples of some particular period, style or building type which may have been altered. (Approximately 51% of the total).

C(S)Category C(S)

Buildings of local importance, lesser examples of any period, style, or building type, as originally constructed or moderately altered; and simple traditional buildings which group well with others in categories A and B. (Approximately 41% of the total).