31, 33 BRUNSTANE ROAD SOUTH, BRUNSTANE HOUSE (Ref:28034)
This building is in the Edinburgh, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 14/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NT 31772 72432.
1639, originally L-plan. Extended 1672-4 by Sir William Bruce to form U-plan with open court to W. Alterations and addition of single-storey S range by William Adam after 1733, subsequently altered in 19th century. U-plan, 3-storey and attic, court open to W with octagonal stair turrets in re-entrant angles and square angle pavilions at NE and SE angles, former pyramid roofed, the latter ogee-domed (S wing entered from SE pavi lion). Rubble-built, originally harled. Slate roofs. INTERIOR: subdivided in 19th century, but retains much of William Adam`s 18th century decorative scheme: including lugged and basket-arched chimneypieces, stucco ceilings and trophied overmantles by Thomas Clayton. Landscape painted sopra porte panels by James Norie in parlour (interior details see REFERENCES). S WING: early 18th century office range, altered and extended late 18th century; single storey, rubble-built, modern corrugated asbestos roof. 2 bays of early 18th century work by William Adam (sebsequently heightened) contain 18th century DAIRY with deep-coved stucco ceiling by Thomas Clayotn, 1742 and chequered tiled floor.
Formerly known as Gilberton. Built for John 2nd Earl of Lauderdale. Bought 1736 by Archibald Duke of Argyll who is believed to have been responsible for the 18th century alterations.
Inv 158 (Midlothian);
MacRae Her 32;
C & D Arch IV p.176;
King's Master Masons (Mylne);
BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND, EDINBURGH, Gifford pp557-559;
WILLIAM ADAM 1689-1748, Gifford, p156;
SRO Plan RHP/14979, survey plan of the estate of Brunstane, 1764, John Lesslie.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.