122 CORSTORPHINE ROAD, BEECHWOOD HOUSE (MURRAYFIELD HOSPITAL), INCLUDING 112-114 (EVEN NOS), BOUNDARY WALL, SECTION OF GARDEN WALL AND OUT-BUILDING, CORSTORPHINE ROAD (Ref:28031)
This building is in the Edinburgh, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 14/07/1966.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NT 2112 7305.
1780. 2-storey and basement 5-bay symmetrical classical mansion. William Sibbald added slightly recessed, symmetrical 3-bay single storey and basement wings, circa 1799. Polished, coursed sandstone ashlar to front elevation, with polished sandstone dressings; main block harled at sides, rubble to sides of wings. Band course between basement and ground floor; blind balustrade between basement and ground floor of wings; cornice and blocking course; quoins to main block; raised margins and block cills.
S (FRONT) ELEVATION: perron staircase to Doric doorpiece to centre at ground; doors to returns of staircase at each side at basement; window to each remaining bay at basement, wings included; doorpiece at ground comprises pair of columns (with narrow light between) supporting entablature and flanking panelled timber door with rectangular fanlight; window to bays at either side, main block; large window to each bay at ground floor of wings; window to each bay of main block at 2nd floor.
Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case glazing (18-pane to ground floor of wings). Grey slate piended roof to main block and to wings; shouldered wallhead stacks to main block, adjoining transverse coped stacks to wings; tall cylindrical cans; cast-iron rainwater goods.
112-114 (EVEN NOS) CORSTORPHINE ROAD: 2-storey, 3-bay, near symmetrical, late 18th century house. Door to centre at ground, window flanking at each side, both floors; small window at ground to outer left; window to left at both floors of right (side) elevation; single storey lean-to porch to right. Timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof; skews; coped ridge and gablehead stacks; moulded cylindrical cans; cast-iron rainwater goods.
BOUNDARY WALL: coped rubble wall.
SECTION OF GARDEN WALL AND OUT-BUILDING: corner section of ashlar-coped rubble wall with 2-storey piend-roofed out-building at intersection. Wall swept to ashlar-framed gateway with (later) wrought-iron gate. Grey slates, stone skews, timber-boarded door and small-pane glazed timber window to out-building.
Built in 1780 for Francis Scott, second son of the laird of Harden. The 3-storey wings were added by William Sibbald circa 1799. In the 19th century, it became the seat of Sir Robert Dundas Baronet. The site once commanded some of the most magnificent views in Edinburgh, before later developments in the area. In 1984, the house was converted into hospital accommodation by Gordon and Latimer.
OLD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT (1791-9), p447; NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT (1845), p215; RCAHMS INVENTORY (1951), p229; J Gifford, C McWilliam and D Walker, EDINBURGH (Buildings of Scotland series), (1984), p 629; J Wallace, HISTORIC HOUSES OF EDINBURGH (1987), p184.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.