Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

NEWHAVEN HARBOURLB27956

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
14/12/1970
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25459 77146
Coordinates
325459, 677146

Description

Early 19th century; L-plan ashlar pier and curved concrete breakwater added 1876-8. Enlarged and reconstructed 1876-1881; lighthouse erected on E pier (see separate list entry). E wall widened 1893-96; arcaded timber fish-house of same date. Various warehouses on S quayside built on land reclaimed for road widening circa 1960.

PIER: sloping ferry slip, 1812; setted surface with ashlar edging; concrete to S end. Sea wall by Grainger & Miller, 1837; heightened by 4 courses, 1889; now retaining wall of land reclaimed for fishmarket.

NORTH QUAY: high quality coursed ashlar; iron rings; replacement railings. Concrete heightening during complete reconstruction, 1876-1881. New lighthouse added at this time.

BREAKWATER: 1864; Robert Stevenson; 540 ft long. Enlarged 1876; concrete; curved and stepped up at entrance; 6-foot sea wall added 1881 (inconsistent mix of concrete).

Statement of Special Interest

B Group with Old Harbour Light and New Lighthouse, Newhaven (see separate list entries). Natural deepwater fishing harbour made into a Royal Naval Dockyard by James IV for the construction of the world?s largest ship, the Great Michael, in 1504-13. Village and harbour bought by the City of Edinburgh in 1510 to protect its port at Leith from unwelcome competition. Improvements to the sea walls and the addition of a breakwater followed the failure of James Anderson?s plans to construct a new entrance to Newhaven and a ship canal running to the docks at Leith. Lack of funds prevented the scheme from going ahead. Within ten years Granton had opened a second pier and Newhaven had lost the chance to be "..among the first commercial ports of the Empire". Subsequently reverted to ferrying (until 1844 when supplanted by Granton) and fishing. On completion in 1878 the harbour measured 500 x 300 yards, enclosed 3.5 acres and could accommodate three times the number of boats belonging to Newhaven. Listing excludes W breakwater of Leith Docks, built 1938-42, which adjoins the pier at the old harbour light. Previously listed with lighthouses (now listed separately).

References

Bibliography

Lighthouses do not appear on Wood?s map, 1826 but do on 1874 PO Directory; GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND, ed F Groome, Vol V, p109; J Grant OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH Vol III, (1882) p303; J Hume INDUSTRIAL ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTLAND Vol 1 (1976) p189; T McGowran NEWHAVEN-ON-FORTH: PORT OF GRACE (1985); M Cant, VILLAGES OF EDINBURGH (1986) p154-155; Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1984) p602.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to NEWHAVEN HARBOUR

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 28/03/2024 20:15