BRAE PARK ROAD, CRAMOND OLD BRIDGE (Ref:27940)
This building is in the Edinburgh Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 14/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NT 1795 7546.
Late 15th, early 16th century bridge; rebuilt 1617 - 19; repaired 1687 - 91 (Robert Mylne); 1761; 1776; 1854. Coursed yellow sandstone; moulded ashlar coping; random rubble sandstone to flanking walls.
3 shallow pointed arches; voussoir surrounds above centre and E; projecting, chamfered string course stepped up over arches; curved abutments to E; single weephole to W. Pyramidal caps to cut-waters on intermediate piers (sloped tabling to NW pier). Splayed W arch comprising 3 chamfered soffit ribs; remaining (later) arches without ribs.
By 1607, this late 15th, early 16th century bridge was ruinous and unpassable. Thus, the granting of a Scottish Act of Parliament that same year determining its rebuilding. The dates of this and successive repairs are inscribed in the N face of the S wall. The NSA draws comparison between the older, groined W arch and those of the Bothwell Bridge over the South Esk. On the outer side of the W parapet is inscribed the date "1619", the tails of the "6" and "9" being "absolutely unique in Midlothian" (G Fothergill).
Scheduled Ancient Monument.
NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND: EDINBURGH (1845) p601; J Grant, OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH (1882) vol III, p314-320 (illustrations p315 and 316); Ordnance Survey map, 1895; Dr G Fothergill, STONES AND CURIOSITIES OF EDINBURGH AND NEIGHBOURHOOD, 1910); INVENTORY OF MONUMENTS IN THE COUNTIES OF MIDLOTHIAN AND WEST LOTHIAN, (1929), RCAHMS, p38; E MacRae, THE HERITAGE OF GREATER EDINBURGH (1947);
J Hume THE INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY OF SCOTLAND (1976) vol 1, p185; Gifford, McWilliam and Walker, EDINBURGH (1984) p548; M Cant, VILLAGES OF EDINBURGH (1986) p46; CRAMOND: AN INTRODUCTION TO THE LIFE OF THE VILLAGE AND PARISH THROUGHOUT THE CENTURIES (1989) p21 and 48; J Wood, THE ANTIENT AND MODERN STATE OF THE PARISH OF CRAMOND (reprinted 1994) p62.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.