DEAN PATH, QUEENSFERRY ROAD, DEAN CEMETERY INCLUDING GATE LODGE, BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATES (Ref:27924)
This building is in the Edinburgh, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/06/1965.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NT 23737 74035.
David Cousin, laid out 1845, later extensions 1871, 1877 (executed by James Jerdan and Son, 1909). Extensive cemetery with later extension to N of Ravelston Terrace. Various entrances, with gate lodges, to the E (Dean Path) and S (Belford Road). (See separate listing for former gate lodge to Queensferry Road.) Coursed random rubble boundary walls with ashlar copes; incorporating fabric from former Dean House to S wall. Cast-iron railings and gates. Lower terrace to SE built into steep banks above Water of Leith. Twin hemicycle entrance gateways to Dean Path with gatelodge to left (S); further entrance gateway to Queensferry Road. Extensive range of outstanding sculptural monuments dating 1845 ¿ present.E (DEAN PATH) ENTRANCE GATEWAYS: twin hemicycle entrances (N entrance part of 1871 extension). Corniced square piers, sandstone ashlar with rock faced bands; surmounted by ashlar pyramid finials set on ball feet. Cast-iron railings, large cast-iron gates to centre. N (QUEENSFERRY ROAD) ENTRANCE: James Jerdan and Son, 1909-10. Walls and gates in renaissance style; single storey lodge, coursed squared sandstone with some ashlar quoins. Bowed windows and central stack. GATE LODGE: L-plan Tudor gabled gate lodge forming part of retaining wall to SE at Dean Path entrance. Coursed squared sandstone with some sandstone ashlar quioins. Prominent gable end and decorative fretted barge-boarding.
A-Group with 69 Dean Path which is a former gate lodge to the Dean Cemetery and Belford Road gate lodge (see separate listings). The Dean Cemetery, with Warriston Cemetery (see separate listing) is Edinburgh's most significant Victorian burial grounds containing some outstanding examples of memorial architecture and sculpture to prominent figures such as William Henry Playfair and Lord Cockburn. The cemetery is the closest example in Edinburgh to the Fir Park Necropolis in Glasgow, although it is richer in sculptural rather than architectural monument. Amongst the most significant is the memorial to Glasgow Magnate James Buchannan, which takes the form of Playfair's choragic monument to Dugald Stewart from Calton Hill, and was designed by William Brodie. The west wall contains a number of monuments to particularly significant men, including Lord Cockburn, Lord Rutherford, Playfair, and Lord Jeffery. The northern extension of 1871 also contains some significant monuments including a large plain obelisk erected to John Russell, editor of the Scotsman. Other monuments contain work by J S Rhind, Sir George Reid and Sir John Steell.
The cemetery was developed in three phases. The first, in 1845, was the most southerly, laid out by David Cousin. The 1871 extension to the N mirrored the original design with large bowed entrance and central avenue. A further addition was planned in 1877 to the N of Ravelston Terrace, but this was not executed until 1909, when it was completed by James Jerdan and Son. The cemetery stands on the site of the former Dean House (1614) which was owned by Lord Provost of Edinburgh Sir William Nisbet. Alexander Nisbet is said to have written Systems of Heraldry in Dean House. The house was demolished in 1845 to make way for the cemetery, with some of the stones incorporated into the boundary walls.
David Cousin was one of the most outstanding architects of his generation, combining private practice with significant civic work, including his role as Superintendant of works to the City of Edinburgh. He won the commission for the Dean Cemetery through a competition. In the early 1840s he had become a specialist in the layout of cemeteries, predominantly in the Gothic style. This makes his predominantly classical design for the Dean Cemetery more unusual. His choice of the classical style may be linked to his change in religious affiliations during the disruption where he joined the newly formed Free Church, for whom he prepared standard Italianate round-arched church designs which could be built quickly and cheaply. Cousin was also the architect for Warriston cemetery (see separate listing).
Category changed from B to A as part of resurvey (2009).
Ordnance Survey, Large Scale Town Plan (1893-4); J Gifford, C McWilliam, D M Walker, The Buildings of Scotland: Edinburgh (1988) p. 398; www.scottisharchitects.org.uk (accessed 17/9/2008).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.