19 WATER STREET, LAMB'S HOUSE (Ref:27915)
This building is in the Edinburgh, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 14/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NT 2716 7642.
Probably early 17th century; remodelled 18th century; restored Neil & Hurd, 1937-9, and Robert Hurd & Partners, 1959-61. 3-storey and garret asymmetrical rectangular-plan merchant's house with modern lift tower to rear and single storey addition (1959-61) to front. Harled rubble with exposed dressings. Rounded or chamfered arrises to original windows; crowstepped gables.SW (BURGESS STREET) ELEVATION: 3 asymmetrically gabled bays with apex stacks; centre bay with slightly projecting stairtower corbelled above ground and 1st floor flanked by single windows, doorway at ground floor, corbelled angle window above to left, asymmetrically placed windows to stairtower, corbelled garret stair in re-entrant angle to right above 3rd floor, recessed lean-to gablet to left. Bay to right with nepus gable, larger opening at ground floor and paired windows off-centre to right at 1st and 2nd floor. Bay to left with half-gable to left, modern addition at ground floor, paired windows at 1st, 2nd and 3rd floor (loading door to left).SE (WATER STREET) ELEVATION: gabled with apex stack; single windows off-centre to right; corbelled angle window at 2nd floor to right.NE (REAR) ELEVATION: large projecting lift tower off-centre to right; asymmetrically placed windows to remaining bays; attic windows breaking eaves.NW ELEVATION: gabled with apex stack, single window at 3rd floor.Modern windows of fixed leaded upper panes and wooden shutters, some small-pane sash and case windows. Modern red interlocking roof tiles. 4 apex stacks (see above). Corbelled skewputts.INTERIOR: stone turnpike stair to SW stairtower with 2 slop-sinks in ogival recesses. Large fireplaces with stone surrounds at 1st and 2nd floor; at 2nd floor fireplaces with bolection-moulded stone surrounds.
Previously known as 23 Water's Close and converted 1960 for use as a day centre for the elderly. Lamb's House was bought by the Marquess of Bute in the 1930s who commissioned the restoration. Apparently, Mary Queen of Scots, on landing in Leith in 1561, stayed for an hour at "Andw Lamb's hous": the current building appears to be a later fabric on this site, known as Lamb's House by legend.
RCAHMS INVENTORY, pp257-9. Gifford et al, EDINBURGH (1984), p472.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.