36 AND 37 SHORE AND 59-61 (ODD NOS) BERNARD STREET (Ref:27890)
This building is in the Edinburgh, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 14/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NT 2711 7652.
Early 18th century, possibly incorporating earlier remains; restored Robert Hurd & Partners, 1972-8. 2-storey and attic, gabled corner tenement, public house at ground floor, and lower 4-bay tenement with central pend to Bernard Street. Harled with sandstone margins (dressings to windows painted). Ashlar strip quoins; pub front with regular rectangular openings divided by shallow pilasters, dentilled cornice, chamfered and corbelled N corner.
NW (SHORE) ELEVATION: 6-bay; public house at ground floor; 2 centre bays raised in nepus gable with windows flanking flue line, single windows to remaining bays. 2 single catslide dormers flanking gable. To outer right remains of No 37 Shore, single storey wall with corniced ashlar doorway (now blocked), lugged roll-moulded architrave, broken scrolled swan-neck pediment enclosing elaborately carved cartouche, dated 1711 with entwined monogram.
NE (BERNARD STREET) ELEVATION: broad gabled elevation of Shore building to right, wallhead raised with broad apex stack; single windows to 1st and 2nd floor, 2 small windows to 3rd floor. 4-bay tenement to left; round-arched roll-moulded pend to centre; 2 window flanking to right; small shop window and very low corniced doorway to left; remains to forestair to outer left. Single windows at 1st and 2nd floor, irregularly placed; chamfered reveals to small 1st floor window to outer right. 2 paired catslide dormers.
SW ELEVATION: gabled with irregularly raised wallhead and broad apex stack; remains of openings and fire places (bolection moulded at 3rd floor level).
S (REAR) ELEVATION: single windows; paired and single catslide dormers.
12-pane timber sash and case windows. Dark slate roof with metal ridge, steeply pitched to Nos 59-65 Bernard Street; 3 apex stacks (see above). Ashlar skews and scrolled skewputts.
INTERIOR: not seen 1993.
The above are among the few early buildings in Leith to have survived. They occupy (and formed part of) the site of the so-called King?s Wark, an enclosed area established in the 15th century by James I, designed to serve as royal residence, store-house and armoury.
RCAHMS INVENTORY 225,249. Gifford et al, EDINBURGH (1984), p472. Dean of Guild 30 /11/1909 (refurbished and re-slated).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.