NEWLISTON HOUSE WITH FORECOURT AND TERRACE WALLS AND GARDEN FURNITURE (Ref:27578)
This building is in the Edinburgh, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 22/02/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NT 1108 7354.
Robert Adam, 1789; pavilion additions, David Bryce, 1845. 3-storey and basement, 5-bay by 5-bay rectangular-plan double pile classical mansion with single storey and basement pavilions. Sandstone ashlar, droved basement, rusticated ground floor including pavilions. Band course above ground, 1st floor cill course with blind balustraded aprons to principal elevation and bowed bays to rear; eaves frieze, cornice and blocking course. Angle pilasters to principal elevation. Ashlar mullions. 2nd floor windows smaller. Ashlar balustrade and dies to principal elevations of pavilions.S ELEVATION: broad, pedimented centre bay breaking forward framed by engaged, paired giant columns at 1st and 2nd floor; door at centre (2-leaf panelled doors) flanked by narrow windows, approached by flight of ashlar steps with decorative ashlar balustrade terminated by finely detailed drum pedestals bearing ashlar urns; tripartite window at 1st floor with pediment and cornice set in segmental-arched panel; tripartite at 2nd floor; Regular fenestration in 2 bays flanking each side. 2-bay pavilions composed of single link bay and broader, advanced pedimented outer bay with tripartite window.N ELEVATION: advanced bay to centre with full-height 3-windowed bow, giant pilasters dividing above ground; blind window to 2nd floor centre. Regular fenestration to flanking bays. Pavilion to outer right pedimented and advance with tripartite window. Pavilion to outer left recessed and blank above basement.E ELEVATION: pavilion advanced from and masking bays to left and centre with tripartite to basement and canted oriel to ground floor with French windows leading onto consoled balustraded ashlar balcony with fine dog-leg flight of steps to right. 2 blind windows to main block at ground to right; window to each bay at 1st floor (outer blinded) and 2nd floor (outer windows and window to right of centre blinded). Fire escape descending from 2nd floor window.W ELEVATION: pavilion masking ground floor with advanced pedimented bay to right and 2 recessed bays to left; single window to pedimented bay; pedimented dormerheads to windows breaking eaves recessed to left. Regular fenestration to 1st and 2nd floor of main block, all but windows of centre bay blinded.12-pane glazing pattern in sash and case windows, 9-pane to basement and 2nd floor. Grey slates. Corniced ashlar stacks to piend and platform roof and linked with arch to E and W wallheads. Panelled stacks to pavilions, to W pediment and NE wallhead.INTERIOR: double pile with longitudinal corridor to each floor; exceptionally fine decoration retained, including variety of fine classical chimneypieces in stone, marble, alabaster and wood, Louis Quinze to Bryce's L-plan Ballroom in pilastered and corniced panel. Doric screen passage to Entrance Hall with fine plasterwork; stone flagged floor. Coved ceiling to L-plan Ballroom with ornate plasterwork. Built-in bookcases to library. Panelled dadoes. Decorative bell pulls. Decorative cast-iron balustrade to principal stair with timber handrail.FORECOURT AND TERRACE WALLS, AND GARDEN FURNITURE: balustraded die walls to forecourt with Florentine boars crowning corniced ashlar pedestals to E and W (1 copied from Uffizi, other copied by local mason, circa 1845). Horseshoe terrace/ha-ha earlier 18th century to S with rusticated, ball finialled piers flanking outer drive; panel carved with horseshoe and dated 1884. Ha-ha to N of house punctuated by fluted vases and classical urn. Pedestals with decorative urn finials by Hercules Garden. Stone statue of Hercules on ashlar pedestal with lion, sited at junction of paths (in form of Union Jack, possibly to commemorate battle of Dettingen) in Hercules Wood to E of house (NT 1124 7357).
The current house at Newliston was pre-dated by one illustrated on a survey plan of 1759 kept at the house, itself pre-dating the designed landscape. William Adam was paid ?150 in 1723 for work on the estate, probably the building of the stables, and he may have been involved with the fortified landscape (see listing for Bastion and Retaining Walls). The French style landscape was originated by Field Marshal the 2nd Earl of Stair who inherited Newliston from his mother, Elizabeth Dundas, and resided there intermittently until his death in 1747. In 1753 the estate was sold to Roger Hog (London merchant from Berwickshire family), in whose family it remains. The mansion designed by William Adam (unexecuted, see VITRUVIUS SCOTICUS) included a grand portico. Timber copies of the Stirling Heads are kept at the house. Terminal views were planned to Niddry Castle to NW and to Craigiehall. A group with Bastion and Retaining walls, Coach House, and Stables, Lawn Park Cottage and South Lodge and Dovecot, Walled Garden and Sundial.
J Small CASTLES AND MANSIONS OF THE LOTHIANS (1883). Soane Museum Drawings Collection. A Bolton ARCHITECTURE OF ROBERT AND JAMES ADAM pp278-286 (plans ill). C McWilliam LOTHIAN (1978) pp355-7. INVENTORY OF GARDENS AND DESIGNED LANDSCAPES vol 5, pp174-179. COUNTRY LIFE 12 August 1982. VITRUVIUS SCOTICUS plates 32 and 36. GARDEN HISTORY
no 7. Survey plan, 1759, at Newliston.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.