INGLISTON HOUSE STABLES AND GARDENER'S HOUSE (Ref:27451)
This building is in the Edinburgh, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 08/03/1994.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NT 1455 7283.
John Kinross, 1900-1902. U-plan single-storey Scottish 17th century style stable block with 2-storey gardener's house in SW angle (1st floor breaking eaves) and attics to remaining ranges, part basement on falling ground to N of W range and courtyard terraced; converted to residential. Rake-jointed and snecked sandstone, ashlar dressings; 2-bays harled and later harled addition to E; roll-moulded reveals, stopped at cills. Eaves course.S RANGE:S ELEVATION: Gardener's house: gabled bay to outer left intercepted to right by squat 2-storey stair tower; generous window at ground, gothic detail to blank panel in lop-sided gablehead. Tower polygonal at base with small window, corbelled to circular above with window in deep surround bearing moulded panel above, cornice and conical, lead-finialled roof. Door at centre close to re-entrant angle formed with tower; corniced with scroll- flanked and pedimented over-door panel. Window to outer right at ground and breaking eaves at 1st floor above in gabled dormerhead. Stable offices clasping house to right with stepped, advanced wall-plane to left of pend.STABLE OFFICES: broad, low semi-circular pend entrance to left of centre with string course and chamfered reveals; stone-ribbed rubble barrel-vault. 4 bays to centre and right with generous windows and gabled dormers above. Flanking bay to right with blind oculus and smaller oculus on gablehead of return visible by recess of 2 outer bays to right with door and window and ventilation panel above. Later addition to outer right.COURTYARD ELEVATION: pend at centre with blind oculus in lop-sided gablehead; buttress flanking to left; string course extending across pend and over blind round- arched recess to left, flanked by door and with 2 small square windows close under eaves above. 2 2-storey bays of house to right of pend with windows at ground and breaking eaves above.W RANGE:W ELEVATION: carriage range; horizontal windows below blank ashlar panels in deeply moulded surrounds in bays to centre and left; gabled dormers above. Window to house at outer right of single storey bays flanked to right by advanced 2-storey bay, with window at ground and window breaking eaves above; angle rounded to left corbelled to square at ground floor.N ELEVATION: gabled end elevation with basement on falling ground; round tower to left angle with window and door on return to courtyard (mirror of tower to E range); door and 2 small windows to basement store; 2 closely grouped windows in gablehead with blank shield panel above.COURTYARD ELEVATION: door to house to outer left with small-pane glazed panel over lintel and small blocked window flanking. 4 square-headed, block-keystoned carriage bays to centre and right with 2-leaf doors; outer bay to right gabled. Round tower to right angle with 2-leaf door and conical roof, lead capping.E RANGE:E ELEVATION: advanced gabled block to outer left adjoined to taller gabled return bay of S range and with later lower-pitched gabled office bay addition; advanced original block altered at ground; 2 gabled dormers above. 2 windows to left of range with stone gabled hayloft door (now glazed) above. Blank wall-plane to centre and right with ventilator panels below eaves.N ELEVATION: lop-sided gabled return of range with window in gablehead bearing moulded pediment and with round tower to right angle detailed as mirror tower on E range.COURTYARD ELEVATION: 5-bay; stable doors to outer left, centre and outer right with block keystones and 2-leaf doors with small-pane or 2-pane fanlights; windows in intermediate bays.Multi-pane glazing in sash and case windows (smaller lower sash); modern windows to dormers. 6-pane windows to stable courtyard windows. Gablehead and ridge stacks with billet-moulded coping. Graded grey slates. Crowstepped gables with beak skewputts. Cast- iron ventilators grilles.COURTYARD TERRACE: cobbled courtyard and pend with squared rubble, stone gablet coped terrace wall and stair to N.GARDEN WALL: rubble garden walls, ashlar coped, enclosing ground to W and adjoining gardener's house.
See Ingliston House. Built for Robert Montgomerie Stevenson. The stables are a diminutive version of those he designed at Altyre House, Moray, 1900: both were exhibited simultaneously at the Royal Scottish Academy. The Ingliston block succeeds in creating the appearance of having accrued over the years rather than being designed at a single period, like a burgh high street, an effect influenced by George Devey, Richard Norman Shaw and Philip Webb.
RSA Exhibition list. D C Mays, unpublished dissertation, St Andrews University, JOHN KINROSS, HIS LIFE AND WORKS (1988). J D G Davidson THE ROYAL HIGHLAND AND AGRICULTURAL SHOW: A SHORT HISTORY 1784-1984 (1984), p40.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.