87 AND 87A AND 2 AND 4 GILES STREET WITH BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS, ALSO KNOWN AS THE VAULTS, EDINBURGH (Ref:27446)
This building is in the Edinburgh, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 14/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NT 26927 76263.
1682, incorporating vaults possibly of 16th century, heightened 1785, converted to flats and offices 1984. 4-storey 11-bay warehouse with enclosed courtyard to front. Cream sandstone, coursed rubble with some ashlar dressings. Relieving arches over most windows.
NW (front) elevation: gabled centre bay with apex stack (1785), carved inscribed panel above ground floor; larger rectangular opening at ground floor. Single windows. Former hoist doors (now with iron window guards) and hoist gable to 3rd bay. Hoist doors and gable (as above) to 9th bay, doorway at ground floor; architraved doorway at 1st floor with bracketted landing accessed by forestair with iron balusters, 2-leaf panelled door. 10th and 11th bay with doorways at ground floor (10th bricked-up), 1st floor windows heightened with transoms and joined to blocked 2nd floor windows.
SW (Giles Street) elevation: 3-bay gabled with moulded skews and apex stack. Tall transomed windows at 1st floor, centre window bipartite with bracketted cill and finialled pediment with carved date `1785¿. 2 windows at 3rd floor, inscribed panel to centre. Corniced window with window guard to gablehead.
NE (St Anthony Street) elevation: gabled with apex stack. Broad, pedestrian doorway at ground floor. Broad windows to centre bay, bipartite, with window guard at 2nd and 3rd, partly blocked at 1st floor.
SE (rear) elevation: irregular single and bipartite windows; modern dormer and skylights to roof.
Mostly modern small-pane timber casement windows, some 12-pane sash and case windows. Modern pantiled roof; 3 apex stacks (see above).
Interior: vaulted cellar with central tunnel and 4 vaulted cellars off. Room at ground floor with coved, elaborate floral plaster ceiling and cornice, plaster cartouche with putti motif and swagged niche, in style of Thomas Clayton (mid 18th century). Large room at 1st floor (taking up 2 floors) with deep cornices and late 19th/turn of the century woodwork.
Boundary walls and gatepiers: tall rubble later 19th century wall with flat coping enclosing courtyard to front, 2 tall red sandstone ashlar gatepiers, pedimented ogival coping with ball finial.
Statutory address updated, 2015. Previously listed as '85 and 86 and 2 and 4 Giles Street with Boundary Walls and Gatepiers, also known as The Vaults'.
RCAHMS Inventory `City of Edinburgh¿, pp256-7. Gifford et al, Edinburgh (1984), p473. The plasterwork in the coved room is in the style of Thomas Clayton, a Leith resident; it is probable that it is by him. He worked with the Adam family executing work of similar quality for them such as at Hopetoun House.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.