HERIOT WATT UNIVERSITY, RICCARTON ESTATE, NORTH GATE LODGE, GATEPIERS AND SCREEN WALLS (Ref:27369)
This building is in the Edinburgh Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 13/01/1975.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NT 1752 7012.
Style of William Burn and David Bryce, earlier 19th century. Single storey, gabled T-plan lodge with Jacobethan details. Stugged, squared and snecked sandstone with polished ashlar dressings. Base course. Projecting eaves. Decorative bargeboards. Chamfered reveals, sandstone mullions and transoms. Buckle quoins.
W elevation: broad bargeboarded gable to outer right, canted window at centre, ashlar roof and panelled apron. Slightly advanced, ashlar bargeboarded porch in re-entrant angle to left, basket-arched, boarded door, panel in gablehead with modern angle lamp, small window in left return, ashlar transom. Window to outer left bipartite.
S elevation: 3 bays, advanced shouldered flue at centre. Narrow windows flanking to outer left and right.
N elevation: square projecting bay at centre, ashlar roof.
8-pane sash and case window. Stone-slate roof, diamond pattern at centre of each pitch. Rope-moulded, barley- sugar stack on shouldered base, shaped coped cap. Wallhead stack at S, diamond-aligned sandstone stack.
Gatepiers and screen walls: panelled ashlar gatepiers with triglyph panel motif in frieze under which hangs a masonry bauble on link; pyramidal cap. Elaborate perforated screen wall, regular stacked semi-circular sections, on plain base. Curved quadrant walls of stugged, coursed sandstone with ashlar slab coping, lower wall with semi-circular coping continues to W.
The lodge is the former lodge to Riccarton House which was demolished in 1956. The lodge is now part of the Heriot Watt University. The former gardener's cottage and walled garden of Riccarton House are listed separately.
C McWilliam Lothian (1978) p405.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.