39 AND 41 (FORMERLY 29 AND 31) GREENHILL GARDENS, BOWMONT TOWER (Ref:27366)
This building is in the Edinburgh, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 14/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NT 2478 7172.
Circa 1860. Large 2-storey irregular-plan Italianate villa with 4-stage engaged entrance tower, Cream sandstone, stugged ashlar to S and E elevation, squared and snecked stugged rubble to rear and side. Base course; overhanging eaves with exposed rafters to gables; projecting bracketted cills to 1st floor windows; round-arched windows to tower. ENTRANCE TOWER: 4-stages; battered clasping buttresses at base; architraved doorway to E with bracketted cornice; 2-light window inserted in former doorway of same treatment to S. Single window with border glazing and round-arched astragals and consoled balustraded balcony above entrace door at 2nd stage to E, band course above. Small window to E and S at 3rd stage. Top stage with cill band course and impost course, tripartite windows with border glazing to each face; overhanging eaves and small wallhead stack to N. E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 2-bay with entrance tower to outer left (see above); broad gabled bay to right with single window at ground floor with bracketted cill, single window at 1st floor above; small wallhead stack. Bay to left with 2 small round-arched windows at ground floor; 1st floor recessed with balustraded balcony and round-arched bipartite window with border glazing and round-arched astragals. S (CHURCH HILL) ELEVATION: 3-bay with tower to outer right (see above); centre bay with full-height canted window swept to square in gablehead. Bay to right with raggle of former conservatory, single windows at ground (inserted in former door) and 1st floor. Bay to left with projecting tripartite window (added 1899) at ground floor; single window at 1st floor. N (REAR) ELEVATION: 3-bay; advanced gabled bay to right with single windows and wallhead stack. Secondary door with single window above to centre bay. Left bay blank. Single storey outhouse with piend roof to NW. W ELEVATION: recessed bay to left with single windows. Blank bay to right with wallhead stack to left corner. Timber sash and case windows; mostly 12-pane, some plate glass glazing. Slate roof with metal flashings; 2 coped wallhead stacks (see above) with corniced square cans. INTERIOR: subdivided; tiled vestibule, timber stair with turned balusters and fluted newel post; 17th century stlye plasterwork to underside of stair, 1st floor drawing room with ornate cornice with sculpted heads and floral plasterwork to corners of ceiling. Tall rubble wall with semi-circular coping, square coped gatepiers to pedestrian gate.
First shown on 1861 Lancefield survey map. Dean of Guild 2/3/1899.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.
Buildings are assigned to one of three categories according to their relative importance. All listed buildings receive equal legal protection, and protection applies equally to the interior and exterior of all listed buildings regardless of category.
Buildings of national or international importance, either architectural or historic, or fine little-altered examples of some particular period, style or building type. (Approximately 8% of the total).
Buildings of regional or more than local importance, or major examples of some particular period, style or building type which may have been altered. (Approximately 51% of the total).
Buildings of local importance, lesser examples of any period, style, or building type, as originally constructed or moderately altered; and simple traditional buildings which group well with others in categories A and B. (Approximately 41% of the total).