92 CONSTITUTION STREET AND 27 QUEEN CHARLOTTE STREET (Ref:27344)
This building is in the Edinburgh, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 14/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NT 2720 7625.
Circa 1793. 3-storey, 5-bay rectangular-plan classical town house. Sandstone, E and S elevations rendered over polished ashlar ground floor, droved ashlar 1st and 2nd floor, coursed rubble to rear. Rusticated ground floor; angle pilasters with stylised capitals, fluted to prinicipal elevation; 1st floor windows pilastered and corniced, with panelled and recessed aprons to principal elevation; band course above 1st floor with cameo roundels to principal elevation where also frieze with oval rosettes, angle urns, and pediment with urn finial. Timber mullions.E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: closed pilastered porch to centre with parapet, panelled door and vestibule; single windows to 1st and 2nd floor above. Single windows to remaining bays.S (QUEEN CHARLOTTE) STREET: 2-bay; at ground floor pilastered common stair doorway to left of centre flanked by bipartite window to left,2 single windows to right; tripartite windows with narrow sidelight to 1st and 2nd floor (windows to right bay blocked). Tall central wallhead stack with panelled base.W (REAR) ELEVATION: 4-bay; band course above 1st floor circling over round-arched tall stair window at centre; single windows to remaining bays. Central wallhead with parapet screen supporting wallhead stack. Remains of gabled party wall with tall apex stack of demolished adjoining building to right.Timber sash and case windows, plate glass and 4-pane glazing, 1st floor windows of principal elevation aluminium replacement windows, some 12-pane windows to rear. Black slated M-piended roof with lead flashings; 2 wallhead stacks (see above). INTERIOR: ground floor with ornate egg and dart cornices; octagonal columns with elaborate foliate capitals.
Built for a merchant, Thomas Williamson.
Shown on Ainslie ?Edinburgh and Leith? 1804. Gifford et al, EDINBURGH (1984), p468.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.